Conquer the Mid-Semester Hump
In October, student begin experiencing exciting and challenging situations that they
need to learn to handle on their own. As a parent, try to avoid rushing in; instead,
think of the college experience as your student's job. Offer support, answer questions
and point them toward the right resources. Parents should us the opportunity to help
their student become more independent.
What Parents Can Do...
- Encourage your student to ask for help when needed.
- With mid-terms, make sure your student sets time aside to study. Remind your student
about free tutoring services offered by the U of M's Educational Support Program.
- Students who consider dropping classes should remember their financial aid status,
scholarship status (including HOPE), and the ability to stay on their parents' health
insurance my be affected.
- Remind your student to see his or her advisor before spring registration, which will
begin on November 11.
Calendar and Dates
To stay up to date on all upcoming dates and deadlines, please check out our UMparent calendar.
October 18: Last Day to Drop a Class (no refund, "W" grade assigned)
October 18: Memphis Madness @ FedEx Forum
October 19: Football vs. SMU @ Liberty Bowl
October 30: Football vs Cincinnati @ Liberty Bowl
October 31: Halloween
November 1: 2nd Installment Fee Payment Deadline
November 3: Daylight Saving Time Ends
November 9: Football vs. Tennessee Martin @ Liberty Bowl
November 11: Spring 2014 Registration Begins
November 11: Veterans Day Celebration
Get your FAMILY T-shirt!: At the suggestion of the Parent & Family Council, in an effort to raise funds for
the Parent Fund, we have designed a t-shirt just for parents and family members. For
those who donate $30 or more, a t-shirt will be mailed to you. For more information
and to donate, please visit www.memphis.edu/parentfund. Thank you to all those who have purchased a shirt so far. We have had a wonderful
response and we hope you are enjoying them!
Send your Student a Finals Care Package: Surprise and support your student during finals with a care package from the Parent
& Family Association and the Residence Hall Council! For more information and to order,
please visit www.memphis.edu/parentfund. Packages can be delivered to students at the Main and Lambuth Campuses. All orders
will need to be submitted by Friday, November 8, 2013.
Memphis Madness To Be Featured In ESPNU's Oct. 18 Madness Coverage: For the first time since 2007, Memphis Madness is back on the ESPN networks. ESPNU
announced Thursday that Memphis is one of nine programs to be featured in ESPNU's
Midnight Madness coverage October 18. The ESPNU college basketball preseason celebration
show begins at 8 pm (CT) that night. Read more...
U of M’s New Mobile App Keeps Everyone Connected: Stay connected to the University of Memphis any time, any place through the University’s
new free mobile app. The app provides at-your-fingertips information for current and
prospective students, faculty, staff, alumni, parents and friends. Read more...
Supporting your Student's Independence
Perhaps you are one of the parents who worry because your son or daughter seems to
be so happy that you never hear from them! Maybe you miss him/her more than s/he seems
to be missing you and home. Possibly you might feel rejected because your student
seems not to need you, your advice, or your "helicopter landings" any longer!
This is a completely normal situation. Although it can be painful for parents who
want to remain as involved as ever in the lives of children, they must realize that
their children are becoming adults and need to exercise an evolving sense of independence.
Again, it is through this independence that true growth occurs, and ultimately, that
is everyone's goal for students! Celebrate the fact that your son or daughter is utilizing
the life skills you have taught over the last eighteen or so years and give yourself
a pat on the back for raising an independent-thinking and self-reliant young adult.
Of course, even the most prepared students make poor decisions, stumble, and struggle
with the consequences of their independent (but maybe not so wise) thinking. If you
fear s/he is making poor decisions that threaten his or her well-being (as well as
satisfactory academic standing), you must intervene. But also realize that some poor
decision-making is normal and is part of the learning experience. It is yet another
unavoidable marker on the journey to adulthood!
(Resource used from Hartwick College)
We have officially come to the mid-point for Fall 2013 semester and have just a few
weeks left until the end of the semester and finals.
- Spring 2014 registration begins November 11, 2013. Bursar registration holds will
be set by November 8, 2013, for students who have an outstanding debt at that time.
Students should check their accounts online through TigerXpress to ensure that they
do not have charges that would prevent them from registering.
- For students who enrolled in the installment payment plan for the Fall 2013 term,
the second and final installment is due by November 1, 2013. A $25 late payment fee
will be assessed for both tuition and housing (if included in the plan), if payment
is not received by the University on or before the due date.
- Fees can be paid by credit card or eCheck online on TigerXpress.
- If you are an authorized user, you can access your student’s account to view/pay fees
through the Authorized User log in.
Upcoming deadlines/key dates:
- November 1: 2nd Installment Fee Payment Deadline (4:30 pm) for students who utilized
the Installment Payment Plan for the Fall 2013 term
Students may now view Spring’s course offerings online through their myMemphis portal;
registration opens November 11. Students register according to their student classification. Refer to this table
for your student’s first day to register:
1st Day to Register for Spring...
- November 11: Graduate Students (degree seeking), Honors Students, and Veterans
- November 12: Seniors
- November 13: Junior
- November 14: Sophomores
- November 18: Freshmen
- November 20: All Non Degree Seeking Students
If your students have not seen an advisor, encourage them to make an appointment as
soon as possible. All degree-seeking students must be advised before they can register.
Also, the sooner students register, the more course selections they can choose from.
Spring 2014 Cancellation Deadline
- Fall contracts are for both the fall and spring semesters. November 1 is the deadline to cancel the Spring 2014 portion of the contract and not
be responsible for the $200 Spring rent prepayment. Residents who cancel after November 1 will be responsible for the $200 Spring rent
prepayment. ALL CANCELLATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN WRITING TO THE RESIDENCE LIFE AND
DINING SERVICES OFFICE, 011 RICHARDSON TOWERS.
Fall 2013 Closing
- The University of Memphis residence halls will close for the Semester Break on Friday,
December 13, 2013, at 3 PM. All residents are required to leave the residence halls
24 hours after their final exam, unless they are involved in Commencement Exercises.
- Residents of Carpenter Complex and the Living Learning Complex do not have to vacate
their rooms during the Semester Break unless their Spring 2014 room assignment has
- Residents required to vacate their rooms during Semester Break will not be allowed
to remain or be readmitted to the buildings during the Semester Break. The residence
hall staff will not be available to permit reentry into the buildings after closing.
- Residents of Richardson Towers, Rawls, Smith, and South, are required to sign up for
an appointment to check out and surrender their room keys to their resident advisors
before they leave.
- Students who are not returning to the residence halls in the Spring must officially
check out of the room no later than 3 PM on December 13 and cancel in writing with
the Residence Life and Dining Services Office in Richardson Towers.
- Students who are returning for the Spring are not required to remove their belongings
from their rooms during the break; however, they should take all valuables and possessions
needed during this time period.
- The buildings will reopen at 1 PM on January 14, 2014.
- Stay up to date with all of the events on campus with the Student Services Event Calendar.
- October is Diversity Month! SafeZone Training on Oct. 25 1:00 – 4:00 pm, In My Skin
on Oct. 29 at 8:00 pm
- Social Media Safety with Debbie Ireland on Oct. 23 at Noon in the Hamilton Room, Student
- Saturday, Oct. 26 at 12:00 (noon) – Alumni Association host True Blue Day on the Lambuth
Campus! Special Guests: Coach Josh Pastner & Members of U of M Basketball Team
- Tuesday, October 29 from 11:00 am – 1:00 pm – Commuter Student Appreciation Luncheon
in Wisdom Parlor
- The Learning Center provides FREE tutoring for students! Please visit Varnell-Jones
124 to learn about when and where to meet your U of M Lambuth Campus tutors. Questions?
Please contact Tammy McCoy in VJ 126, 731-425-1906, or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dining Hall News:
- Students can utilize their Dining Dollars for breakfast, lunch and dinner Monday –
Thursday 8:00 am – 6:00 pm. Breakfast and lunch on Fridays from 8:00 am – 2:00 pm.
- Students can sign up for meal plans (80-block or 100-block) here.
- For questions, contact Michele Little by emailing Little-Michele@aramark.com or visit her in the Dining Hall, Wilder Student Union, Lambuth Campus.
Tutoring @ ESP
Students returning from Fall Break are often more motivated to finish the semester
Motivated students save time and learn more by:
- Finding the right study place:
- Knowing tutor(s) that best fits their schedule
- ESP Tutors have proven success in those courses
- Identifying changes in their studying which will increase effective learning.
- Consultation is available. Study groups have day and evening schedules.
- Attending ESP seminar(s) to get on the right track:
- October 23 Will to Succeed: Expand Your Brain
- October 29 Small Changes for Big Academic Results
- November 8 GRE/GMAT: Need to Know
- Contacting Tutoring@ESP Mitchell 217
Pouncer's Pals: Pouncer's Pals is an exclusive club designed for little Tiger fans.
Each member must be 12 years old or younger. The membership fee for the 2013-2014
season is $20. Learn more.
Print Funds… Adding Pages to a Student Account
- As the end of the semester approaches, some students have used their printing allotment
of 500 pages/semester. If your student finds they need to add print funds to their
account, two methods are available.
Online Store – Pay for Printing (allow up to 48 hours)
- Funds can be purchased by visiting the Pay For Printing online store. Please allow up to 48 hours to process your order.
- At the Pay for Printing website students can securely purchase pages with a credit
card at $0.05 each in 100 page increments.
On campus option available during business hours
- Students need to go to the Bursar's Cashier window in Wilder Tower to purchase additional
pages and obtain a receipt.
- The receipt from the Bursar should then be taken to the umTech Helpdesk in the Administration
Building, Room 100.
- For additional information click here.
The U of M LEAD Conference on Student Leadership (formerly the Student Leadership
Summit) is a one-day event for students to hear from campus and community leaders
about a range of topics that are intended to support organizational growth and improvement.
- The conference will take place on Saturday, November 23rd from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm on the third floor of the University Center.
- Registration for this conference is FREE for all University of Memphis students.
- Students are required to submit their registrations forms by November 18 here. For a complete schedule of the conference click here. Contact Jon Campbell at email@example.com or (901) 678 – 8679 with any questions.
For athletic schedules, click here.
To purchase tickets to UofM sporting events, click here.
Men's Basketball: Memphis Madness Tickets Available At FedExForum Box Office Thursday. The only free
tickets that remain are those that fans can pick up at FedExForum’s box office beginning
Thursday, Oct. 17 at 10 a.m. (CT). Those picking up tickets at the box office Thursday
will be limited to four per person. Read more.
Women's Soccer: Atkins Five Point Weekend Earns Spot on American Weekly Honor Roll. American Athletic
Conference honors Katilyn Atkins for her weekend performance. Read more.
Fun Fact & Quote
Fun Fact: The University of Memphis offers 17 bachelor's degrees in more than 250 areas of study, Master's
degrees in over 55 subjects, Doctoral degrees in 23 disciplines, a specialist degree
in education, and a Juris Doctor (law degree).
Quote: “I learned three important things in college - to use a library, to memorize quickly
and visually, to drop asleep at any time given a horizontal surface and fifteen minutes.”
- Agnes DeMille, Dance to the Piper, 1952