eCourseware Department Aides Guide
Updated March 24, 2014
Department Aide Role Overview
Purpose of the Department Aide Role
The Department Aide role has been created as an option for departments who wish to
have more local control and immediate servicing of their faculty’s needs as they teach
with eCourseware, our official UofM online learning management service. eCourseware
is powered by Desire2Learn, often referred to as D2L.
- Because of the significant permissions of the Department Aide role in eCourseware,
individuals with access to this account should understand the appropriate use of the
authority granted with access to all the courses within their department. FERPA mandates
that users should guard all forms of student course information from any misuse.
- Additionally, serious technical issues can arise if Department Aides override information
fed from UofM’s information system Banner, which controls the creation and population
of all courses taught through our university.
The Department Aide is a special eCourseware user account with its own username/password
for login to https://elearn.memphis.edu. Such accounts are only created at the request of a department chair and must only
be used by a staff or faculty within that college or department that is appointed
by the chair as their official eCourseware Department Aide.
Common Functions Available to Department Aide
- Managing Department Special Courses
- Creating special courses modifying course titles
- Modifying course dates
- Helping faculty share course content
- Managing Department Special Enrollments
- Enrolling faculty and students in development and special courses
- Changing a student’s enrollment for incomplete course work
- Impersonating specific users to troubleshoot course issues.
- Locating Help Resources
- The DA should not become the eCourseware technical Service Desk for all students and
faculty within their department.
- Please direct users to use the UofM ITS Service Desk (678-8888) for most technical
Preparation for Department Aides
The following are requirements for each person appointed to be Department Aide.
- Department Chair/Dean Appointment
- If a department chair chooses to use the Department Aide role within a department,
they should request that the CTL create a DA account for them. Usually the account
will have a user name of da.[department name]; e.g., da.history. The chair will then
appoint a staff or faculty within the department to have access to the DA account.
- eCourseware Quick Start Session
- The appointed DA must attend a two-hour eCourseware Faculty Quick Start session to
become familiar with the current policies and practices using the learning management
- eCourseware Department Aide Orientation
- The appointed DA must attend a two-hour eCourseware Department Aide Orientation. During
the orientation, the DA will receive access to DA account username/password.
eCourseware Department Aide Handbook
Appointed Department Aides may download the Department Aide Handbook.