Academic Integrity at the UofM
The University of Memphis policy on academic integrity is outlined in the Student Code of Rights and Responsibilities. In order to understand what academic misconduct means at the University, you should be familiar with the University's definitions
from the Office of Student Conduct.
To help in the pursuit of academic integrity, two products have been made available
to instructors; Turnitin and Respondus LockDown Browser.
A web-based plagiarism-detection service that allows students to submit papers to
check for originality. Turnitin can be used as a deterrent, but also as an educational
tool to teach students how to work with sources and to improve paraphrasing and quoting
skills. After submission, an Originality Report is generated and the instructor can choose to share this with the student. The repository
to which papers are compared for originality currently consists of three primary databases.
Respondus LockDown Browser
A custom browser that locks down the testing environment in eCourseware. When students
use LockDown Browser to access a quiz, they are unable to print, copy, go to another
URL, access other applications, or close a quiz until it is submitted for grading.
Tests created for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with standard browsers,
either. LockDown Browser works much like a standard browser, but some options have been removed or work differently.
Where Do I Begin?
- If a class will be using either product, the instructor will note this within the
syllabus and discuss it in class.
- Once an assignment or quiz has been noted as using Turnitin or the LockDown Browser,
continue to the Next Steps to ensure familiarity with the product and how to use it.
- If a class uses eCourseware, the chance is good that assignments will be submitted
using the Dropbox feature within the class.
- If an instructor is not using eCourseware, the Student Quick Start Guide goes through the steps of submitting the first paper.
- Respondus LockDown Browser
- The LockDown Browser will only be used for assessments taken within eCourseware. Some
instructors choose to use the browser, others do not; instructors should tell their
class if it will be used.
- Students will install the browser by clicking on the link within their eCourseware
course. Once it has been installed, an icon will be available on your desktop. This
icon will allow access to elearn.memphis.edu through the LockDown Browser but no other
- General installation instructions from Respondus. You will only need to download the browser once per semester.
- NOTE: Be sure to save your answers frequently in case of the browser "freezing."
- UofM commonly asked questions and answers can be found in AskTOM
- If you need further assistance, the umTech Helpdesk is available 24x7 at 901.678.8888.