The Tennessee Board of Regents understands that many Tennessee residents have limited
access to higher education due to job obligations, geographic location, family obligations,
and/or other restrictions which make on-campus attendance difficult and unlikely.
The Bachelor of Liberal Studies with a major in Interdisciplinary Studies is an online
undergraduate degree designed by the Regents Online Degree Programs to meet these
needs. The University College also offers this degree to University of Memphis students
who elect to take their courses on campus. It provides students the opportunity to
tailor a degree program around a particular interest or career goal the other majors
at the university do not meet. Working within a structured format, students select
courses for their major from two distinct/different departments.
Students interested in pursuing the Interdisciplinary Studies major will need to complete
a Baccalaureate Contract, which serves as a proposal for the degree requirements and,
when approved, is a student's "contract" with the University as to what their specific
degree requirements will be. The student's assigned adviser will explain the contract
and guide them through the process.
- Students should submit a Baccalaureate Contract no later than 30 days after acceptance
into University College.
- The proposed degree will require the successful completion of 120 credit-hours allocated
- General Education Courses (35-41 hours)
- Interdisciplinary Major (36 hours)
- 24 upper division hours (12 each from two different departments)
- 12 hours upper division electives
- University College Requirements (9 hours)
- 6 hours of thematic studies
- 3 hours senior project
- General Electives (34-40 hours)
- Students must have a minimum of 9 graded hours from the University of Memphis in the
- Students may take no more than 21 upper division hours of course work from any one
- Students may have only 3 internship credit hours and they may only be used in the
upper division electives category of the contract.
- The Baccalaureate Contract must be fully typed. Please proofread thoroughly.
- Students will not have an official degree plan until a contract has been approved.
Without an approved degree plan/contract, students WILL NOT:
- be advised,
- be cleared to register,
- be allowed to file an Intent to Graduate form or issued a permit for UNIV 4995-Senior
- receive a degree plan for financial aid purposes,
- receive a graduation checkout, or
- be permitted to graduate.
- After the contract has been approved, a copy will be emailed to the students memphis.edu
email account. The original will be placed in the University College student file.
- Final approval of the Baccalaureate Contract may take up to eight weeks from the time
it is received by University College.
- If students need to change a course once the contract is approved, they may petition
for a change by submitting a Course Substitution Request form. Students should discuss
these requests with an advisor and submit the appropriate form.
- Students who wish to pursue this degree are not required to take any online courses
with the exception of the Senior Project, UNIV 4995. Students are allowed to take
a combination of online and on-campus courses if this meets their schedule needs.