Software sites are about as vast as the Internet itself! Listed below are just a few sites that we consider quite reputable.
Internet Software Resources
- HTTrack Website Copier
- Free and easy-to-use offline browser utility allowing download of complete World Wide Web website(s).
- software for your Web site
- Web Site Availability Monitoring Software
- one of my personal all-time favorites.
- C|Net's freeware download site.
- C|Net's shareware download site.
- ZDNet Software Library
- ZDNet; another good basic Internet / Web info site.
U of M Software:
Software Tools Categorized by Function:
- A software program (also known as a "Web browser") used to locate and display information on the Internet or an intranet. Examples include Microsoft's Internet Explorer and Netscape Communications' Navigator. Most browsers can display graphics, photographs and text; multimedia information (such as sound and video) may require additional software, known as "plug-ins."
- News Readers
- Also called RSS Readers, News Aggregators are applications that began as a way to distribute news releases.
- A program that uses a Web browser's application programming interface. Each plug-in is browser- and platform-specific. Plug-ins are stored locally, on the same machine as the browser. The best-known plug-ins are those that allow the display or playback of special file types (such as animation, audio or video) directly in the browser window.
- free downloadable trial software that usually includes no support, sometimes includes a README.txt file for some help.
- this is the Net's "try it, then buy it" idea; most sites I've tried and seen give you a trial period of about a month, then you're given the option to buy or not.
- Beta versions
- software released to the public that's in de-bug stage; may still have "bugs", problems, etc.