Software sites are about as vast as the Internet itself! Listed below are just a few
sites that we consider quite reputable.
Internet Software Resources:
- software for your Web site
- Web Site Availability Monitoring Software
- one of my personal all-time favorites.
- C|Net's freeware download site.
- C|Net's shareware download site.
- ZDNet Software Library
- ZDNet; another good basic Internet / Web info site.
U of M Software:
Software Tools Categorized by Function:
- A software program (also known as a "Web browser") used to locate and display information
on the Internet or an intranet. Examples include Microsoft's Internet Explorer and
Netscape Communications' Navigator. Most browsers can display graphics, photographs
and text; multimedia information (such as sound and video) may require additional
software, known as "plug-ins."
- A hit is an individual visit to a Web site or Web page, expressed as a measure of
its popularity (i.e., Web traffic volume). For example, a site that had 48,000 visitors
during a 24-hour period might be said to have averaged 2,000 "hits" per hour during
A counter is a software applications devised to calculate and return the number of
hits a Web server receives.
- News Readers
- Also called RSS Readers, News Aggregators are applications that began as a way to
distribute news releases.
- A program that uses a Web browser's application programming interface. Each plug-in
is browser- and platform-specific. Plug-ins are stored locally, on the same machine
as the browser. The best-known plug-ins are those that allow the display or playback
of special file types (such as animation, audio or video) directly in the browser
- Video Readers
- Another aggregator designed to "feed" information.
- free downloadable trial software that usually includes no support, sometimes includes
a README.txt file for some help.
- this is the Net's "try it, then buy it" idea; most sites I've tried and seen give
you a trial period of about a month, then you're given the option to buy or not.
- Beta versions
- software released to the public that's in de-bug stage; may still have "bugs", problems,