About the University of Memphis
See What UofM has to Offer YOU
In a city that has changed the world in more ways than one, we're driven to do the same. And starting here, so can you. The University of Memphis has been educating students from all over the world for over 100 years. UofM researchers and faculty are leaders in over 250 fields of study, which means a wealth of academic choices for you. In the heart of the nation's 20th largest city, learning isn't limited to classrooms or labs. Memphis is a hub of international commerce, culture and creativity. Whatever your passion, here you'll discover endless paths toward pursuing it.
The UofM Experience
- Public research university founded in 1912
- Located in a residential neighborhood in the heart of Memphis
- We are consistently ranked as the safest large campus in Tennessee. With a fully commissioned police force and robust technology enhancements, we keep our community safe.
- Walking friendly campus, small on-campus community
- 57 undergraduate majors
- 307 degree programs (135 undergraduate, 43 masters, 48 doctoral, 54 graduate certificates and 27 accelerated degree programs)
- More than 22,000 students and more than 4,000 are graduate students
- Maintains a 15:1 student/faculty ratio
- The UofM achieved U.S. News & World Report ranking as a Top Public University in 2019 and 2020 and was ranked by College Gazette as a Top 10 Public Universities on the Rise. View all rankings >
- 8 on-campus housing options including graduate and student family options
- 300+ student organizations including many multicultural organizations
- Fitness Center with Gym, Sauna, Sports ground, Steam, fitness classes, Two Olympic size swimming pools, nutrition workshops and fitness trainers
- Tiger Athletics - UofM Tigers are Division 1 Team in AAC
Explore the Interactive Viewbook:
Driven by doing.
- Hands-on learning
- Faculty commitment & involvement
- Internship opportunities
Home to over 30 Research Centers and Institutes. The 5 prominent Centers of Excellence are:
- Center for Earthquake Research & Information (CERI)
- Center for Information Assurance
- Center for Research in Educational Policy (CREP)
- Institute of Egyptian Art and Archaeology (IEAA)
- Center for Excellence in Mobile Sensor Data-to-Knowledge (MD2K)
The International Experience
- Students represented from 72 countries.
- The Center for International Education Services (CIES) is the institutional home for International Student Services.
- CIES is committed to serving the needs of the international community and providing a welcoming environment for international students.
- International students are enrolled in: computer science, information systems, business administration, earth sciences, English, mathematical sciences, music, biomedical engineering, mechanical engineering