Transfer Credit Request Instructions
Any University of Memphis student considering taking courses at another institution, to satisfy degree requirements, should meet with his/her academic advisor, refer to the Transfer Equivalency Table to see how those courses will transfer back to the University of Memphis, and complete a Transfer Credit Request (TCR) form. For courses not listed on the table, it is the student's obligation to obtain an approved TCR form prior to enrolling in those courses. Without the approved TCR, there is uncertainty whether a course taken will satisfy degree requirements. An approved TCR serves as assurance that the course will transfer and how it will count towards satisfying degree requirements.
Transfer Credit Approval
- For institutions and courses listed on the equivalency table, complete the Transfer Credit Request (TCR) Form Section I only.
- Meet with your academic advisor to verify that the transfer coursework will satisfy requirements.
- Complete Section I of the TCR form and SUBMIT to the Office of Admissions via e-mail by clicking on the submit button (see important submission instructions).
- After the course/s have been graded, request an official transcript from the college/university where the coursework was taken. The transcript must be sent to the University of Memphis, Office of Admissions, 101 Wilder Tower, Memphis, TN, 38152.
- Meet with your academic advisor to verify that the transfer coursework will satisfy requirements and obtain the advisor's signature.
- Take the form to the graduation analyst of your college for approval.
- Engineering students must also obtain the approval of the department chair of their major.
- Return the signed form to the Office of Admissions.
- After the course/s have been graded, request an official transcript from the college/university where the coursework was taken. This transcript must be sent to the University of Memphis, Office of Admissions, 101 Wilder Tower, Memphis, TN, 38152.
Transfer Credit Policy and Residence Requirements
Undergraduate students who want to apply courses taken at another college/university must understand the residency requirements to be met in order to graduate with a University of Memphis degree.
- A student will satisfy residence requirements for graduation by earning at least twenty-five (25) percent of credit hours required for the degree at the University of Memphis.
- At least thirty (30) of the final sixty (60) hours required for the degree must be completed at the University of Memphis.
- A student transferring credits from a two-year college or institution must complete, as a requirement for the baccalaureate degree, a minimum of (60) sixty semester hours in an accredited senior (four-year) institution.
Academic credit completed at another institution or higher education content provider can be considered for credit at the U of M if it meets at least one of the following conditions:
- It is completed at a regionally accredited institution
- It has been or can be demonstrated to be substantially similar to a University of Memphis course (this generally requires approval from the course delivering academic unit)
Credits from institutions on the quarter hour system will be converted to semester hours using the formula of one quarter equals two-thirds of a semester hour.
The maximum credit hour load allowed for any term includes all course enrollments both at the University of Memphis and at other institutions. Review the policy for credit hour load at: http://www.memphis.edu/ugcatalog/acad_reg/max_hours.php.
General Education Requirements
The University General Education Program promotes a shared core learning experience for all undergraduate students at the University of Memphis and provides a framework upon which the college major can build. A complete listing of the courses fulfilling general education requirements for community colleges and universities is available on the TBR web site under Transfer and Articulation Information.