The University of Memphis Photography facilities consist of spaces dedicated to contemporary digital technologies, as well as space for traditional darkroom practices and other historical methods. Photo facilities are housed in three separate buildings.
Meeman Journalism Building – Main Campus
- Alternative Processes lab (approx. 300 sq. ft.) with two industrial Amergraph plate burners, coating tables and 2.5'x 8' processing sink
- Traditional black and white darkroom (approx. 400 sq. ft.) with 17 Omega 4x5 enlargers, 4'x8' processing sink, 2 graduate b/w labs (approx. 65 sq. ft. each) with 2 4x5 enlargers each, separate film processing sink and film loading area.
- Traditional black and white darkroom (approx. 300 sq. ft.) with 12 Omega 4x5 enlargers, separate film processing room (approx. 80 sq. ft.) lab classroom (approx. 250 sq. ft.) for dry mounting and print finishing, 2 graduate labs (approx. 60 sq. ft.), 1 advanced b/w lab (approx. 60 sq.), and one digital lab (approx. 150 sq. ft.) with 7 iMac stations.
- Two dedicated critique classrooms (approx. 450 sq. ft. and 250 sq. ft.) equipped with digital projectors.
South Campus DCA Building
- Lighting studio with one main studio (approx. 750 sq. ft.), one tabletop studio (approx. 120 sq. ft.) and one equipment storage and prep room (approx. 200 sq. ft.), all are equipped with Norman strobes and power packs, Alien Bees and Photogenic mono lights.
Art and Communication Building (ACB) – Main Campus
- ACB 152 - The computer lab in ACB 152 holds 20 iMac workstations equipped with double monitors and loaded with the Adobe Suite as well as Final Cut Pro. Additionally, an Epson Perfection V750 Pro is available for negative scanning. This lab is our main digital printing space for undergraduate students with a 17 inch wide Epson 4800, a 17 inch wide Epson 4900, and a 44 inch wide Canon IPF8400 archival inkjet printer.
- ACB 57 - A second digital photography lab allows undergraduate students additional workspace. The computer lab located in ACB 57 holds 20 iMac computers loaded with Adobe software for digital image editing. The lab also contains a copy stand with LED lighting available to students who want to photograph their artwork. Additionally, ACB 57 contains an Epson Expression 10000XL 11x17 scanner, which can be used for every photographic negative format as well as opaque objects. Finally, this lab holds a 44 inch wide Canon IPF8400 printer which gives undergraduate photography students access to large format, museum quality, archival printing.
Graduate Photo Studio
Our graduate photo students are assigned a studio space and have access to an Epson Stylus Pro 9900 with the capacity to print up to 44" wide.