Bioinformatics Certificate Program
The Certificate in Bioinformatics will provide training in genomics, statistics and computer science to students with a background in other scientific disciplines. The goals of the program are to provide:
- Knowledge of probability and statistics, statistical tools, and application of statistical methods to genomics and health related areas.
- Knowledge of computer programming, data structures and algorithm design.
- Knowledge of genomic technologies and analysis of genomic data.
To apply for admission, students must fill out the University of Memphis online application found here. Applicants must have a bachelor's degree in science or engineering with a minimum GPA of 2.75. International students must have a TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), or 79 (Internet-based).
Applicants must also submit the following documents to the Bioinformatics program coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- A separate application to the Bioinformatics Program. (Click here to download application)
- A personal statement including research interests, prior academic preparation, work and research experience related to bioinformatics, and long-range career/professional goals.
- Two letters of recommendation.
Students who are currently enrolled in a Master's or Doctoral program at the University of Memphis or other universities will be eligible for admission into the Bioinformatics Certificate Program based on the recommendation from their graduate advisor.
Completion of 15 semester hours distributed as follows:
- COMP 6001 Computer Programming (3 hr)
- COMP 6030 Design and Analysis of Algorithms (3 hr)
- BINF 7701 Introduction to Genomics and Bioinformatics (3 hr)
- PUBH 7150 Biostatistical Methods I (3 hr)
- PUBH 7153 Biostatistics in Bioinformatics (3 hr)
Student must complete all five required courses with an average grade of B (3.0) or
higher, for a total of 15 credit hours.
In the semester of graduation, the student must submit the Intent to Graduate form to the Graduate School and a Graduate Certificate Candidacy form to the College Director of Graduate Studies by the deadline specified by the Graduate School.
For more information, email email@example.com