Financial/Living Information for Prospective Students
Cost of Living
The following website from the Memphis Chamber of Commerce provides information about the cost of living in Memphis. Towards the bottom of the page, you can find a link to a "Cost of Living Calculator" that will provide detailed analysis based on your income and current place of residence.
Memphis Light Gas and Water (MLGW): http://www.mlgw.com/news/news_ratesurvey2018
On-campus: U of M offers several types of Graduate and Student Family Housing options.
Off-campus: The city of Memphis has a wide range of housing options. Many students rent apartments or houses adjacent to the campus. Thanks to its central location, the University is surrounded by neighborhoods of varying cost.
Benefits of being a student
Amenities included in student fees:
- Free access to University events, including sports events, theatre, and concerts
- At U of M, semester fees include the cost of parking. You have access to all general-permit parking without paying anything extra out of pocket. You also can purchase premium parking passes if you wish. For more information, please visit the Parking Services webpage at https://www.memphis.edu/parking/index.php
- Free access to the U of M fitness center: https://www.memphis.edu/campusrec/
- U of M features an excellent Student Health Center. No appointment necessary.
- The Memphis Plan health coverage is available to all graduate assistants at the University. For more information: https://www.memphis.edu/gradschool/current_students/ga.php
- No extra lab fees: our program does not apply additional fees for any labs taken during your coursework here.
- Discounts: many Memphis businesses provide a variety of discounts for U of M students. Simply show your ID card! Here are some of the local businesses that give student discounts:
- Office 365 Suite is available free to students