Practica Placement Opportunities
Diversity of practica placements is an important component of the developing Counseling Psychologist's clinical skills. The Memphis urban area allows for an extensive range of practica experiences including in-patient treatment, primary care, community mental health, federal prisons, and university and college counseling centers. Because of our urban location, many of our practicum sites serve underserved populations (e.g., low socioeconomic status, racial or ethnic minority, LGBTQA, individuals with chronic illnesses, etc.). The Counseling Psychology program at The University of Memphis maintains of network of placements for doctoral practica. An abbreviated listing of these placements is given here.
Common Practica Placements and Populations
- Lakeside Behavioral Health System. Also Parkwood Location: Adults, Adolescents
- Church Health Center: Integrated behavioral health care (in conjunction with physical therapists and urgent care doctors) with adult and adolescent community members.
- Memphis VA: Veterans and families, Numerous units (PTSD, Spinal Cord, Mental Health, Substance use)
- Kindred Place (formerly the Exchange Club Family Center): Anger Management, Domestic Violence, Victim Support Groups
- Federal Correction Institute: Assessment and counseling with incarcerated individuals
- Arkansas State University Counseling Center: Personal Counseling - College Students
- Daybreak Day Treatment: Children, Adolescents, some Families
- The University of Memphis Counseling Center: Personal and Career counseling and Assessment with College Students
- Rhodes College: Personal and Career Counseling - College Students
- University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center Memphis: Assessment - College Students
- Semmes Murphey - Neuropsychological Assessment - Primarily Adults
- Christ Community Health Services - Primarily Adults - integrated Primary Care
- Cordova Psychological Associates, PLC - Assessment - Children