Qualitative Inquiry Circle (QUIC)
The Qualitative Inquiry Circle (QUIC) is a social and intellectual circle of graduate students with interest in qualitative inquiry, specifically inquiry that has the intent of advocating for social justice.
We foster community, spur networking, and provide space for the critical discussion of qualitative epistemologies, theories, methodologies, methods, analyses, and representations. We also encourage discussion concerning professional development and the consideration of the thesis/dissertation process, teaching portfolios, recommendation letters, job applications/interviews, research/teaching presentations, peer emotional support, and mentorship. Finally, we come together to share ideas, give critique, and gain support for individual qualitative thesis/dissertation research development and completion.
Graduate Certificate in Qualitative Research in Education
QUIC meets one Friday each month from 6-8pm (Location TBA)
Alison Happel-Parkins, Ph.D. & Susan Nordstrom, Ph.D.
Although housed in the College of Education, students throughout the University of Memphis who meet the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Must be engaged in qualitative research
- Must be in/have completed EDPR 7/8561 (B or above)
- Must commit to attend three out of the four meetings a semester
- Must commit to one presentation each academic year
QUIC is limited to ten members per academic school year.
To apply to QUIC, please submit a personal essay to Dr. Happel-Parkins (firstname.lastname@example.org) or to Dr. Susan Nordstrom (email@example.com) addressing the following questions:
- · What are your current research interests or current qualitative projects?
- · How will you benefit by participating in QUIC?
- · What will you contribute to QUIC? How will others benefit from your participation?
Please submit your essays during the months of August or January.
For more information, please contact Dr. Alison Happel-Parkins or Dr. Susan Nordstrom.