About Gavin Bidelman
Dr. Bidelman joined the faculty in 2012, where he directs the Auditory Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory located in the School of Communication Sciences and Disorders at the University of Memphis. The lab uses a multifaceted approach to study the neural encoding of complex sounds at both pre-attentive and cognitive levels of brain processing. Methods include a coordinated blend of auditory event-related brain potentials (ERPs/EEG), eyetracking/pupillometry, psychoacoustics, and computational modeling. Current lab projects are focused on understanding the underlying neurophysiology of speech and music perception, as well as novel sound learning. The long-term goals of our projects are to decipher the connection between neuroelectric brain activity elicited by auditory events and human behavior. Complementary work examines how listening experiences and auditory training (e.g., music lessons, bilingualism) influence individual hearing skills and related cognitive abilities through neuroplasticity. The lab is funded through extramural support from the NIH/NIDCD.
- Ph.D. Hearing Science - Purdue University - 2011
- B.S. Sound Engineering - University of Michigan - 2007
- B.M. Music Theory - University of Michigan - 2007
Associate Professor, Institute for Intelligent Systems - University of Memphis - 2012-present
Associate Professor, School of Communication, Sciences, & Disorders - University of Memphis - 2012-present
Faculty Affiliate, U. Tennessee Health Sciences, Dept. Anatomy & Neurobiology 2016 – present
Assistant Professor, Institute for Intelligent Systems - University of Memphis - 2012-2018
Assistant Professor, School of Communication, Sciences, & Disorders - University of Memphis - 2012-2018
Postdoctoral Fellow, Rotman Research Institute - Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care - 2011-2012
NIH Predoctoral Fellow, Department of Speech, Language, & Hearing Sciences - Purdue University - 2008-2011
Honors and Awards
- Top 10% of cited articles appearing in PloS One among >150K published articles - 2017
- Early Career Research Award (ECRA), University of Memphis - 2016
- Faculty Travel Enrichment Award, University of Memphis College of Arts & Sciences - 2016
- Invited participant with travel award, Annual Research Conference: "Lessons for Success: Developing the Emerging Scientist", American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) - 2013
- Sigma Xi (full member) - 2012
- Ismail Interdisciplinary Doctoral Research Award, Purdue University - 2011
- Robert L. Ringel Research Award, Purdue University - 2010
- Weinburg Research Scholarship, Purdue University - 2010
- NIDCD/NIH Pre-Doctoral Fellowship (T32 DC 00030) - 2008 – 2010
- Speech, Language, & Hearing Sciences Alumni & Friends Scholarship, Purdue University - 2008 – 2009
- Ross Fellowship, Purdue University - 2007 – 2008
Research and Scholarly Activities
- Experience-dependent brain plasticity, cognitive aging, and individual differences in auditory skills
- Brainstem and cortical auditory neuroimaging (EEG/ERPs); hierarchical neural coding
- Neurobiological basis of auditory perception, scene analysis, and learning
- Cognitive and perceptual transfer effects between music and language
- Computational modeling of normal and impaired auditory neurophysiology
- PI (Co-I: M. Yeasin, UofM ECE). "Neural dynamics underlying the emergence of auditory categorization and learning," NIH/NIDCD R01DC016267, 5/18–4/23, $1,879,543.
- PI. "Neural dynamics underlying the emergence of auditory categorization and learning," University of Memphis Research Investment Fund (intramural), 3/17–2/18, $20,000.
- PI (Co-PI: S. Bhagat, Memphis CSD). "Minimizing noise-induced hearing loss with musicianship," GRAMMY® Foundation, 4/14–6/16, $20,000.
- PI. "Central neurophysiological markers underlying speech-in-noise perception," American Academy of Audiology Foundation, New Investigator Grant, 4/14–5/15, $10,000.
- PI. "Central neurophysiological markers underlying degraded speech recognition," American Hearing Research Foundation, 5/14–6/15, $20,000.
- Co-PI (PI: S. Tak, UofM Nursing). "Therapeutic Computer-Assisted Stimulating Activity in Dementia," FedEx Institute of Technology, University of Memphis (intramural), 1/14–3/16, $332,000.
- PI (Co-I: C. Alain, Rotman Research Institute). "The impact of music on speech processing in older adults," GRAMMY® Foundation, 4/12–8/13, $20,000.
- PI. "Neural correlates of musical and linguistic pitch as revealed in the auditory brainstem," Bilsland Doctoral Dissertation Award, Purdue University (intramural), 9/10–6/11, $44,622.
- University of Memphis - Van Fleet Doctoral Fellowship Selection Committee - 2015
- University of Memphis - Appointments Committee - (Chair, 2014-present)
- University of Memphis - IIS Strategic Planning Committee - 2014 - present
- University of Memphis - HIPAA Implementation/Review Committee - (2014 - present)
- University of Memphis - CSD Library Committee - (Chair 2013 – present)
- University of Memphis - Website Oversight Committee - (2012-present)
- University of Memphis - Future Planning Task Force Committee - (2013 – 2014)
- University of Memphis - Audiology Subcommittee - (2012 – present)
- University of Memphis - PhD Program Policies Committee - (2012 – present)
- Editorial Assistant, Ear & Hearing - - 2010-present
- Session Chair, "Music Therapy & Cognitive Processing," Society for Music Perception and Cognition (SMPC 2013), Toronto, ON, Canada, August 11, 2013.
- Program Committee, Society for Music Perception and Cognition Annual Meeting (SMPC 2015), Nashville TN, 2015.
- Session Chair, "Publishing & Grant Applications," ARO student mentoring session, 37th Annual meeting of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology, San Diego, CA, February 2014.
- Session Chair, "Young Investigator Symposium: Computational Modeling," 38th Annual meeting of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology, Baltimore, MD, February 2015.
- Ad hoc Journal Reviewer - American Journal of Psychology Applied Psycholinguistics Biomedical Signal Processing & Control Brain & Cognition Brain & Language Brain Research Brain Topography Cerebral Cortex Cognition Cognitive Science Ear & Hearing European Journal of Neuroscience Frontiers in Auditory Cognitive Neuroscience Hearing Research International Journal of Audiology Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience Journal of Memory and Language Journal of Neuroscience Journal of the Acoustical Society of America JoVE - 2008 - present
- Ad hoc Journal Reviewer - J. Association for Research in Otolaryngology Medical Principles and Practice Memory & Cognition Music Perception NeuroImage Neuropsychologia NeuroReport Neuroscience Letters Physiological Research PLoS One Psychology of Music Psychophysiology - 2008-present
- Grant Reviewer - National Science Foundation, USA Graduate Women in Science, USA Medical Research Council (MRC), UK Biotechnology & Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC), UK -
- Scholarship Reviewer - American Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation Graduate Student Scholarship - 2013