Controlled Substances

Controlled substances are chemicals (drugs) regulated by state and federal laws to control the associated dangers (e.g., addiction, abuse, physical or mental harm, etc.).

University of Memphis personnel wishing to acquire, create, use, and dispose of controlled substances must be licensed by the Tennessee Board of Pharmacy and registered with the U.S. Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).  When appropriately executed under state and federal requirements, a licensed individual may authorize members of his/her staff to work with controlled substances under the licensed individual's license. The University of Memphis does not hold an institutional license for controlled substances.

See the UofM Controlled Substances Program for guidance.

Helpful Links

Application for Tennessee Researcher License - Tennessee Board of Pharmacy

Controlled Substances Act

DEA Controlled Substance Schedules

DEA Registration