B.A., 1993, University of Memphis, Communication/Video and Film Production
M.A., 1995, University of Memphis, English
M.F.A., 1997, University of Memphis, Creative Writing
Michael Compton teaches composition, African American literature, and creative writing and is particularly interested in screenwriting. His screenplay Carjacked was made into a motion picture in 2011 starring Maria Bello, Stephen Dorff, and Joanna Cassidy.
Fiction and Poetry
- "The Flying Man," The Baltimore Review, Fall 2014.
- "Lamentations," African American Review, Fall 2013.
- "The Flower Lady," Tulane Review, Spring 2013.
- "Good Use," Forge, Spring 2012.
- "Structure, Sign, and Squeezeplay," Logos, Spring 2003.
- "The Invisible Hand," Slow Trains, 2002.
- "Farewell to the Muse," The Maverick Press, Fall 1999.
- "I Knew Ed Wood." The Final Word (Spring 1995): n. pag. Print.