Welcome to the
Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures
at the University of Memphis!
Foreign Language study is central to the mission of The University of Memphis to educate its students for
a diverse and global society. With today’s levels of foreign trade, tourism, international
business, and international relations, knowledge of other languages and an understanding
of other cultures is a must. Our Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures offers
not only basic language instruction, but also offers advanced work in foreign literatures,
linguistics, culture, civilization, and business.
Which languages can you study here?
You have a choice of eleven! Instruction is offered in Arabic, Chinese, French, German,
Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish. Students may
complete a major with a single-language concentration in French, German, Italian,
Japanese, Latin, or Spanish, or a two or three-language concentration combining any
of the following: Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian,
You can also create a minor in a particular language to enhance a major in such fields
as Political Science, Business, History, Anthropology, Art History, English, and International
Studies—among others! Check our four-year plans here.
What other opportunities can you enjoy in the University of Memphis Department of
- Semester, full-year and summer abroad programs for academic credit. Details at www.memphis.edu/abroad/index.php
- Language Media Center
- Weekly foreign language conversation tables
- Language clubs and international film festivals
- Award-winning teaching and research faculty, many of them native speakers
- Assisting with the annual language fair competition for high school students
- Excellent preparation for an International MBA degree here or elsewhere
- Eligibility for the Mary Pettus Thomas Scholarship for foreign language majors