First Generation PhD/MFA Fellowship
The funds for the First Generation PhD/MFA Fellowship Program are made available to The University of Memphis by the State of Tennessee. The purpose of the fellowship is to provide financial assistance to graduate students who are under-represented in their respective disciplines and who will become the first person in their immediate families to earn a doctoral degree. DMA students are also eligible.
In order to be eligible to apply, students must be:
- A resident of Tennessee
- Must be fully admitted into the graduate program by March 7, 2020
- Underrepresented in their discipline/major by gender or race
- First immediate family member to complete a doctoral or Master of Fine Arts degree program
Fellowship recipients must agree to the following:
- To enroll in at least 9 semester hours of graduate course work for the full-time option or 6 hours for the part-time option
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.00 in order to be eligible to continue the fellowship.
- Full-Time Option (minimum of 9 hours per semester): Tuition scholarship plus a $6,000 stipend ($750 per month for four months each semester)
- Part-Time Option (6 hours per semester): Tuition scholarship plus a $1,000 stipend ($500 per semester)
- Award Period: The fellowship is awarded for one academic year contingent upon the student maintaining each semester a 3.00 or higher grade point average.
- Summer Support: Summer support is contingent upon availability of funds and is not guaranteed.
In addition to the application, applicants must submit two letters of recommendation, one of which should be academic. Letters of Recommendation must be sent by the person recommending an applicant directly to the following email address: email@example.com.
Deadline: All completed applications with supporting documents (see Documentation Required for Graduate Awards chart) must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org at the Graduate School, by March 27, 2020.