Master's Degree Candidacy Form Instructions
REMINDER: All degree seeking students or students completing a graduate certificate must "Apply to Graduate" (located in the MyMemphis portal) AND must also submit candidacy forms.
Failure to complete both the graduation application and a candidacy form will delay your graduation until the next semester.
Please read instructions carefully
- When filing for graduation, students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 on all graduate work undertaken at The University of Memphis whether or not the courses are listed on the degree candidacy form.
- A minimum of 70% of the total required hours for a master's degree program must be 7000-level courses.
- No more than 12 hours of workshop courses and independent study courses may be applied to a master's degree.
- No more than seven (7) hours of C, C+, or C- grades will be counted toward degree requirements. Grades of D or F are not accepted for credit for graduation purposes, but the grades are computed in the overall cumulative GPA.
- Do NOT include undergraduate level courses, courses completed for "Audit" credit, or courses dropped or withdrawn.
- Course titles listed on the candidacy form may be abbreviated and should be no longer than 100 characters long for both letters and spaces between words.
- If you are currently enrolled in course work, include those courses on the candidacy form. Do NOT list excess hours beyond the number of hours required for your degree program. This is especially important for students in the College of Education who plan to earn Master's +30 Hours. List only graduate level course requirements, including all electives.
- If another course was substituted for a required course or for an elective, your major advisor must complete an Approved Course Substitution Form and submit to the Graduate School.
- If transfer credit has already been posted to your U of M record, complete an Approved Transfer Credit form to the candidacy form and submit to the Graduate School.
- If you have transfer credit from another graduate institution that has NOT been posted to your U of M record, complete an Evaluation of Transfer Credit Form to the candidacy form and submit to the Graduate School.
- Failure to submit the correct form will delay processing of your application, so please be sure the correct form is attached to your degree candidacy form.
- REMINDER: Master's degree candidates completing a thesis must register for thesis credit each semester (fall and spring) until the thesis is completed. You must also be enrolled in the summer semester but only if the thesis will be defended and completed at that time. Failure to continuously enroll in thesis credit will result in the student being charged back tuition in additional to late fees for each semester he or she did not enroll.
- If you do not complete your thesis in your intended term of graduation, your graduation application in your MyMemphis portal will be automatically updated by the Graduate School.
Students will be certified for graduation only when all requirements are met, including the removal of all I or IP grades from a previous semester.
If you have questions concerning the completion of the candidacy form, contact the Graduation Analyst, Jennifer Beech, in the Graduate School for further information.