Professional Education Certification in Sport Science
Program launch - TBA; early 2021
The Professional Education Certification in Sport Science offered through our Human Performance Center will provide a bridge from formal study to actual application in the workplace. The certification is specifically designed for the exercise science student and others with formal education but limited practical experience in a sport science setting—those with aspirations of working in sport science, strength and conditioning, athletic training and athlete support. That is, for those who desire to work directly with sport coaches and athletes in performance settings.
The course is designed specifically for students with undergraduate or graduate exercise science degrees and for entry level sport scientists who aim to work in sport at a high level. The relevant skills developed throughout the program apply to a breadth of applied science-based disciplines which aim to contribute to coaches’ practices and athlete performance. The learnings throughout the course are broad, self-reflective and apply across disciplines and roles of athletic support, with a fundamental goal to help you apply your expertise to applied sport environments.
Designed as a self-paced online program, you will complete the course over a one-month period. The course is offered three times per year with each intake limited to 20 people.
The program is built around seven key modules complete with presentations, videos, learning checks and assignment-styled tasks. The coursework for each module will take approximately two hours and an applied assignment for each module will take approximately one hour. In addition to this coursework, you will be a part of four one-hour live discussions/presentations from experts in the field and have two 30-minute one-on-one consultations with the director of the Human Performance Center, one at the start and one at the end of the program.
The total approximate time expected for the certificate program is 26 hours, which is recommended to be completed at a rate of 6-8 hours per week across the month.
- Prepare individuals who possess a foundation in exercise science or kinesiology for the transition from textbooks to reality in applied sport science
- Develop critical skill sets and their effective implementation within sport science settings
- Acquire the skills to create and compete for jobs in the challenging and competitive world of sport
- Understand the demands and dynamic nature of working in sport
- Develop skills to communicate effectively with athletes, coaches and other stakeholders
- Develop unique sport science solutions to practical problem solving
- Effective data analysis and reporting in sport science
- Optimize your value and marketability in the competitive world of sport
Program Overview and Topics
All programs/modules/topics are delivered online and can be completed at your own pace (within the one month provided).
- Introduction to Sport Science
- Exercise Science Refresher
- Communication within Sport Settings
- Providing Sport Science Solutions for Practical Problem Solving
- Effective Data Analysis and Reporting in Sport Science
- Case Scenarios – Textbook to Reality
- Sport Science Career Readiness