New Student Orientation
Welcome to the Herff College of Engineering! Faculty and staff are committed to the success of each student, and focused on preparing you for the rigor and rewards of an engineering degree. Please sign up for NSO as soon as possible and refer to this University website for details: https://www.memphis.edu/nso/information/nso_index.php
As you begin your journey as an engineering student, please take a moment to hear from key administrators in the college who have prepared remarks and discuss content that is critical to getting started at the Herff College of Engineering. Videos and presentation links are below:
- Welcome from Dr. Rick Sweigard Dean of the Herff College of Engineering
- Keys to Success, Dr. Russell Deaton, Associate Dean of Academic Affairs & Administration, Herff College of Engineering
- Engineering Specific Advising - Betsy Loe, Academic Advisor, Herff College of Engineering
- Student Life & Student Organizations - Isaiah Surbrook, Director of Engineering Student Services
- Professional Development including Careers & Internships - Shelia Moses, Herff College of Engineering
1. Herff New Student Orientation Check List, print off this list of everything you need to accomplish during New Student Orientation!
3. Registration Example Video, view this step by step tutorial that covers how to register!
4. Registration Quick Guide, a brief guide to online class registration that starts with logging into the myMemphis portal and takes you through reviewing your class schedule.
5. General Education Courses for Biomedical, Civil, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering
- Sample first year courses for Biomedical Engineering
- Sample first year courses for Civil Engineering
- Sample first year courses for Electrical Engineering Computer Engineering
- Sample first year courses for Mechanical Engineering
9. Glossary of Commonly Used Terms, view this handout to learn more about terms used during the advising process and across UofM campus.
10. Computer Requirements specific to the Herff College of Engineering
11. Navigate Academic Planning Tool Instructions, learn how to use Navigate Student to create your academic plan.
12. Navigate Appointment Scheduler, Navigate is a system that links faculty, advisors, staff and students in a coordinated network designed to help students as they "navigate" their way through college starting with registration, meeting with advisors, scheduling classes, applying for financial aid and other tasks leading to graduation. You do not need to make an online appointment at this time, we look forward to seeing you in person at NSO!
Read below for details about NSO specific to engineering:
- Prior to your scheduled NSO session, our college advisor, Ms. Betsy Loe (firstname.lastname@example.org), will send an email with details about advising and registration to your University of Memphis email account. This account is used for all official communication, and should not be forwarded to other accounts. Get in the habit of checking this account often!
- You will be placed into a mathematics course based upon the math sub-score from the ACT. A critical factor for success and graduation in an engineering discipline is correct math placement. This is an important conversation to have with your advisor.
- If you are undecided as to which engineering major to choose, then select undecided engineering, and make sure you are advised in the college of engineering. We can help you select classes to stay on track for graduation and make the choice of an engineering major.
- It is important that you develop a positive relationship with your advisor. This starts during NSO.
More engineering advising details can be found at https://www.memphis.edu/herff/students/advising.php. We look forward to seeing you soon! Go Tigers!