New Student Orientation
Welcome to the Herff College of Engineering! Faculty and staff are committed to the success of each student and focused on preparing you for the rigor and rewards of an engineering degree. Please sign up for NSO as soon as possible and refer to the University of Memphis New Student Orientation website for details.
- Herff New Student Orientation Check List: printable list of what you need to accomplish during New Student Orientation
- Registration Example Video: step by step tutorial that covers how to register
- Registration Quick Guide: a brief guide to online class registration that starts with logging into the myMemphis portal and takes you through reviewing your class schedule.
Biomedical, Civil, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering
- General Education Courses
- Sample first year courses: Biomedical Engineering
- Sample first year courses: Civil Engineering
- Sample first year courses: Electrical Engineering Computer Engineering
- Sample first year courses: Mechanical Engineering
Glossary of Commonly Used Terms, view this handout to learn more about terms used during the advising process and across UofM campus.
Computer Requirements specific to the Herff College of Engineering
Navigate Academic Planning Tool Instructions, learn how to use Navigate Student to create your academic plan.
Navigate Appointment Scheduler, Navigate is a system that links faculty, advisors, staff and students in a coordinated network designed to help students as they "navigate" their way through college starting with registration, meeting with advisors, scheduling classes and other tasks leading to graduation. You do not need to make an online appointment at this time, we look forward to seeing you in person at NSO!
Read below for details about NSO specific to engineering:
- Prior to your scheduled NSO session, our college advisor, Ms. Betsy Loe (firstname.lastname@example.org), will send an email with details about advising and registration to your University of Memphis email account. This account is used for all official communication, and should not be forwarded to other accounts. Get in the habit of checking this account often!
- You will be placed into a mathematics course based upon the math sub-score from the ACT. A critical factor for success and graduation in an engineering discipline is correct math placement. This is an important conversation to have with your advisor.
- If you are undecided as to which engineering major to choose, then select undecided engineering, and make sure you are advised in the college of engineering. We can help you select classes to stay on track for graduation and make the choice of an engineering major.
- It is important that you develop a positive relationship with your advisor. This starts during NSO.
More engineering advising details can be found at https://www.memphis.edu/herff/students/advising.php. We look forward to seeing you soon! Go Tigers!