UofM Center for Literacy Research and Practice Faculty and Associates
Dr. Laurie MacGillivray (she/her) is the director of the center, coordinator for the
Literacy Program, and a professor in literacy in ICL. She has published widely in
journals such as Urban Education, Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, The Reading
Teacher. Her current research interests include reading and writing clubs and systems
Student Research Associates
Sarah Langley has been in elementary education and early childhood education for 12 years. Her areas of research interest are writing instruction and community-based learning. She is currently a graduate assistant for the UofM Literacy Center for Research and Practice and pursuing a doctorate in Instruction and Curriculum Leadership with an emphasis in literacy.
Kimberly Owens-Pearson has been an educator for 18 years. Her passion lies in literacy,
equity, and understanding the impact of Critical Race Theory in Education. She is
currently pursuing a Doctorate in Instruction and Curriculum Leadership in the College
of Education at the University of Memphis.
Bryan Walker is a doctoral student at the University of Memphis in Instruction and Curriculum Leadership with an emphasis in Literacy. His teaching experience is in middle school English Language Arts and reading intervention. His areas of research interest are writing instruction and vulnerability.
Dr. Alycia M. Taylor, a recent UofM graduate, is presently a Clinical Instructor in the Department of Instruction and Curriculum Leadership at the University. Professionally, she has served as a teacher, curriculum developer, testing coordinator, and educational consultant. Her research interests include inclusion, teacher preparation, writing instruction, and evidence-based literacy instructional practices.
- Jill Crocker, Ronald McDonald House Executive Director
- Dr. Sandra Cooley Nichols, Chair, ICL Department
- Dr. Alfred Hall, Assistant Dean, COE
- Dr. Helen Perkins, Literacy Professor, ICL Department
- Dr. Crystal Cook, Advisor in Shelby County School's Family and Community Engagement department
- Dr. Melinda Jones, Director of the Helen Hardin Honors Program
- Dr. Kandi Hill-Clarke, Dean, COE
- Dr. Wideline Seraphin, Literacy Professor, ICL Department
- Dr. Leslee Tarbett, Recent Graduate
- Mr. Eric Harris, Principal Geeter K-8 School
- Sarah Langley, GA for Literacy Center