The following guide is published by the US Health and Human Service Department's Office
for Human Research Protections. It is intended to help you answer the following questions:
- Is IRB approval required?
- Are you engaged in “research” under U of M Policy and Federal Regulations?
- Does what you are doing involve “human subjects”?
- What kind of IRB review should you request?
- This guide is not intended to be a substitute for the need to understand the ethical
and legal issues involved in responsible conduct of research.
Link to HS Decision Chart
Link to OHRP video regarding explaining when you have human subjects research
If you need to report a study-related injury, or if you have questions, please contact
the IRB Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 901-678-2705.
If you have any concerns regarding integrity and ethics in research and scholarship
at U of M, please do not hesitate to call (901) 678-2705 or email email@example.com. The confidentiality of anyone who contacts the office will be protected under the
Whistleblower Protection Act. Working together we will promote the highest standard of integrity and ethics in
research and scholarship.
Beverly Jacobik ‐ IRB Administrator
Research Support Services
University of Memphis
317 Admin Bldg
Memphis, TN 38152‐3370