The State of Tennessee requires that students with J or F visas have and maintain medical, hospitalization, evacuation, and repatriation insurance as a condition of admission and continued enrollment at the institution. Students not providing acceptable proof by the final day of the late registration period will be required to purchase the University of Memphis insurance on the final day of the late registration period or risk termination of their I-20s. Payment for coverage must be made in full for the future up-coming session. Insurance coverage must last for the entire duration of the semester for insurance holds to be removed, including the examination period.
Option 1: Purchase Insurance through the University
The University of Memphis provides health insurance coverage for international students for the academic year. Students can purchase health insurance coverage by going to http://coverage2u.com/ and selecting "University of Memphis" Students should enroll in the plan for full-time, degree-seeking international students.
In order to register for the summer term, students must purchase insurance covering the period starting in May and lasting through the end of the summer semester.
Please see the http://coverage2u.com/ website for pricing details.
Option 2: Provide Proof of Insurance from an Independent Carrier
Proof of coverage through an independent carrier consists of (1) the insurance company completing the Certification of Insurance from an Independent Carrier Form and (2) the insurance company mailing the original Certification of Insurance from an Independent Carrier Form and a copy of the purchased policy (in English) directly to the IEI Office. Coverage provided by an independent carrier must be equal to or greater than the coverage provided by the University of Memphis plan.
- Major Medical Expenses Coverage: $500,000 USD per injury or sickness to match the current plan.
- Repatriation Expense: In the event of the death of the insured person, expenses as may reasonably be incurred will be payable up to $50,000 USD for returning the body of the insured person to his/her place of residence in his/her home country.
- Medical Evacuation Expenses: If the insured person is unable to continue his/her academic program due to injury or sickness, expenses as may reasonably be incurred will be payable up to $25,000 to evacuate the student to another medical facility or to their home country.
Please see the following form: Insurance Form
To the Insurance Carrier: By completing this form you verify this student has purchased, through your company, a policy which provides coverage equal to or greater than the standard set forth by the University of Memphis insurance policy.
Option 3: Provide Proof of Insurance through a Government Sponsorship or Other University-Approved Official Sponsorship
Students holding insurance coverage through a government sponsorship or through a university-approved official sponsorship must provide proof of coverage in the form of an official letter from the sponsoring agency and a copy of the provided policy (in English). The coverage must be equal to or greater than the coverage provided by the University of Memphis plan.
- Alternate plans should have a U.S. claims payment office and a U.S. phone number.
- Alternate plans should be in place for the entire semester/period of coverage required by the University to maintain status.
Documents that Will be Acceptable as Proof of Coverage Must:
- Meet or exceed the amounts listed above
- Provide coverage for at least the current session
- Provide coverage for both inpatient and outpatient services
- Provide coverage for both physical and mental health services
- Provide coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation*
- Be written in English
- Contain clear instructions for filing claims
- Include company contact information, including addresses, phone numbers, fax numbers and email addresses
Pricing: $40 Annually or $23 Semi-annually
Beta Scholastic - Benefits
|Emergency Medical Evacuation||$350,000|
|A.M. Best Rating||A|
|Additional coverage provisions for (see contract for details of these)||Baggage Delay, Natural Disaster, AD&D and Passport Replacement|
|Plan can be renewed 120 days prior to expiration date|
|Terms and Conditions of Insuring Contract Apply|