The State of Tennessee requires that students with F-1 visas have and maintain medical, hospitalization, evacuation and repatriation insurance as a condition of admission and continued enrollment at the institution. Students must have insurance while in the U.S. taking classes. The insurance start date should be no later than the first day of classes and should be valid until the last day of exams. Whoever does not upload proof of insurance will have a hold placed on their account which will prevent them from registering for classes.
Good health is a necessary component of academic success. To help you maintain yours, the University of Memphis has partnered with Wellfleet Insurance Company to offer a robust and student-focused insurance policy to meet the needs of graduate students on campus starting 2024 Spring. Wellfleet has been in the student insurance industry for over 25 years and has always delivered innovative insurance solutions to the marketplace. The Wellfleet plan is ACA (Affordable Care Act) compliant and for international gradaute students, it meets the Department of Homeland Security requirements for J-1 students. More information about the Wellfleet plan and cost can be found here.
The premium for the Spring/Summer term effective 1/1/2024 – 7/31/2024 will be $1,582.
You may direct questions regarding the University of Memphis Student Health Insurance Plan and procedures to the Hildreth Agency at 865-691-4652 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions related to the policy coverage, you can see the benefits on https://www.studentinsurance.com/Client/2268. You can also find more information about the insurance plan as well as the answers to frequently asked questions HERE.
If you need to purchase an insurance for 2023 Fall, you can see the information below.
Insurance Options for 2023 Fall
Option 1: Purchase Insurance through ISP (ISP is an option. Students can choose any insurance provider that they prefer in
Students can purchase health insurance coverage by going to website and selecting "University of Memphis" Students should enroll in the plan for full-time, degree-seeking international students.
In order to register for the summer term, students must purchase insurance covering the period starting in May and lasting through the end of the summer semester.
Please see the website for pricing details.
Option 2: Provide Proof of Insurance from an Independent Carrier
Proof of coverage through an independent carrier consists of (1) the insurance company completing the Certification of Insurance from an Independent Carrier Form and (2) the insurance company mailing the original Certification of Insurance from an Independent Carrier Form and a copy of the purchased policy (in English) directly to the IEI Office. Coverage provided by an independent carrier must be equal to or greater than the coverage provided by the University of Memphis plan.
- Major Medical Expenses Coverage: $500,000 USD per injury or sickness to match the current plan.
- Repatriation Expense: In the event of the death of the insured person, expenses as may reasonably be incurred will be payable up to $50,000 USD for returning the body of the insured person to his/her place of residence in his/her home country.
- Medical Evacuation Expenses: If the insured person is unable to continue his/her academic program due to injury or sickness, expenses as may reasonably be incurred will be payable up to $25,000 to evacuate the student to another medical facility or to their home country.
Please see the following form: Insurance Form
To the Insurance Carrier: By completing this form you verify this student has purchased, through your company, a policy which provides coverage equal to or greater than the standard set forth by the University of Memphis insurance policy.
Option 3: Provide Proof of Insurance through a Government Sponsorship or Other University-Approved Official Sponsorship
Students holding insurance coverage through a government sponsorship or through a university-approved official sponsorship must provide proof of coverage in the form of an official letter from the sponsoring agency and a copy of the provided policy (in English). The coverage must be equal to or greater than the coverage provided by the University of Memphis plan.
- Alternate plans should have a U.S. claims payment office and a U.S. phone number.
- Alternate plans should be in place for the entire semester/period of coverage required by the University to maintain status.
Documents that Will be Acceptable as Proof of Coverage Must:
- Meet or exceed the amounts listed above
- Provide coverage for at least the current session
- Provide coverage for both inpatient and outpatient services
- Provide coverage for both physical and mental health services
- Provide coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation*
- Be written in English
- Contain clear instructions for filing claims
- Include company contact information, including addresses, phone numbers, fax numbers and email addresses
Pricing: $40 Annually or $23 Semi-annually
Beta Scholastic - Benefits
|Emergency Medical Evacuation||$350,000|
|A.M. Best Rating||A|
|Additional coverage provisions for (see contract for details of these)||Baggage Delay, Natural Disaster, AD&D and Passport Replacement|
|Plan can be renewed 120 days prior to expiration date|
|Terms and Conditions of Insuring Contract Apply|