Arriving and the I-94 Form
You should arrive in the United States no more than 30 days prior to the start of your program. Before your arrival, you should have plans in place for housing, transportation from the airport and other immediate needs The ISS Office will arrange to have a volunteer pick you up and bring you to the University of Memphis Main Campus or any residence within a mile from the University campus.
Before beginning your studies, you must show proof of the following immunizations:
- MVR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) - 2 Immunizations Required
- Varicella (Chicken Pox) - 2 Immunizations Required
- Meningitis - 1 Immunization Required
- Tuberculosis Skin Test - Non-U.S. citizens from countries of high incidence are required to have a TB Skin Test, applied and read, before registration
myMemphis & TigerXpress
To pay fees and access TigerXpress, visit https://www.memphis.edu/usbs/loginchoice.php.
For help with myMemphis, visit https://www.memphis.edu/portal/doc/portal-user-guide.pdf.
The I-94 Form
The form I-94 is a border crossing item for all international visitors to the United States. In most cases it can be accessed online. The form I-94 also lists the official category (F-1, J-1, H1B, etc) that an individual has been labeled at the time of their entry to the U.S.
The form I-94 should show your admission to the U.S. for the duration of your status, abbreviated as "D/S," which represents the period that an F-1 student will be enrolled in a full course of study or taking part in Practical Training.
The form I-94 is required to apply for a social security number or driver's license.
Find more information about the form I-94 by visiting https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home.
Temporary Housing Options:
- The Holiday Inn is located on the main campus at 3700 Central Avenue, Memphis, TN 38111. Rates start at $139/night. Please call 901.678.8200 for more information.
- Conference Housing accommodations are available from late May through early August for both on- and off-campus groups seeking affordable housing, excellent dining services, and a variety of meeting areas located both indoors and outdoors on campus. Summer Conference Housing is available in two residence halls, located on the main campus: Centennial Place & the Living Learning Center. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 901.678.5000 for more information.
- Properties Near the University of Memphis
- The Stratum is located at 510 South Highland Street, Memphis, TN 38111 and is a 5-minute walk to campus! Apartments come in studio, 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom and 4-bedroom options. Rates start at $559/month for a 4-bedroom, 2-bath apartment.
- Gather on Southern is located at 3655 Southern Ave, Memphis, TN 38111 and is a 1-minute walk to campus. Apartments come in studio, 2-bedroom, 3-bedroom and 4-bedroom options. Rates start at $619 for a 4-bedroom, 4-bath apartment.
- Highland Row is located at 395 South Highland Street, Memphis, TN 38111 and is a 7-minute walk to campus. Apartments come in studio, 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom and 3-bedroom options. Rates start at $985 for a studio apartment.
- The Nine is located at 3565 Mynders Avenue, Memphis, TN 38111. Apartments come in 2-bedroom, 3-bedroom and 4-bedroom options. Rates start at $650 for a 4-bedroom, 4-bath apartment.
- Reminder: You should not pay a deposit or sign a lease until you have seen the apartment and where it is located.
- Transportation in the United States is primarily automobile-based, which may be different from the preferred method of transportation in your home country. If you plan to drive a car while you are here, you should consider if you meet certain conditions. These conditions include having a valid driver's license from your home country and an International Driving Permit.
- Depending on your personal preference and available travel plans, you may travel to
Memphis by the following ways:
- Memphis International Airport (MEM)
- Amtrak Train Station
- Greyhound Bus Station
- Driving from another city
For more information regarding border security and customs, please visit the Department of Homeland Security at https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/2012/01/here-to-help-international-students-cbp.