I-20 SEVIS Transfer

For any F-1 visa student planning to change from a U.S. school to The University of Memphis, note the following checklist.

1. Complete all academic requirements for admission to a degree program. This step is handled exclusively inside the Admissions Office for undergraduates or in the Graduate Admissions section of the Graduate School for students pursuing Masters or Ph.D. programs. 

2. Upload an affidavit of support with banker's signature, or bank letter detailing funding, graduate assistantship information (if any), government sponsorship letter, or any combination thereof to your I-20 SEVIS Transfer application.

  • Note that government sponsorship letters must specifically mention The University of Memphis as the designated school for the student. Also, the government sponsorship letters must cover one full year (12 months) of student costs if they will be used as the sole source of funding.
  • Locate the affidavit of support here: https://www.memphis.edu/admissions/pdfs/affidavit.pdf

3. Upload a scan of your passport's data page, showing your name, birth date, and passport expiry to your I-20 SEVIS Transfer application.

  • Note that F-1 visa holders are required to maintain a passport that is at least 6 months from expiration while inside the U.S.

4. Upload a scan of your current visa page or other proof of visa status, such as a change of status approval notice to your I-20 SEVIS Transfer application. Also, inform our office if you have any pending Permanent Residence applications or other visa issues.

5. Provide our office with a current residential address, both inside and outside of the U.S.

6. List the date you requested your online SEVIS record release from your previous school in your I-20 SEVIS Transfer application.

Once all items are submitted, our office will process the new I-20. Remember to keep both old and new I-20s, as the government can request previous I-20s for a variety of purposes.

Apply For SEVIS Transfer