F-1 Transfer In
For any F-1 student planning to transfer your F-1 student status/SEVIS record to The University of Memphis from another U.S. insitutions, please follow the steps below.
1. Receive Admission Offer from The U of M
Complete all academic requirements for admission to a degree program. This step is handled exclusively inside the Admissions Office for undergraduates or in the Graduate Admissions section of the Graduate School for students pursuing Masters or Ph.D. programs.
2. Complete the SEVIS Transfer Request
You are required to fill out a transfer request form and provide the required supporting documents.
Affidavit of Support with Financial Proof
Financial proof can be a bank letter detailing funding, graduate assistantship letter, government sponsorship letter, scholarship letter, etc.
- Download the Affidavit of Support here: https://www.memphis.edu/admissions/pdfs/affidavit.pdf
- Note that government sponsorship letters must specifically mention The University of Memphis as the designated school for the student. Also, the government sponsorship letters must cover one full year (12 months) of student costs if they will be used as the sole source of funding.
Copy of your passport's biographical page and any U.S. visa page
Note that F-1 visa holders are required to maintain a passport that is at least 6 months from expiration while entering and statying in the U.S.
Copy of any U.S. immigration process notice a change of status approval notice to your I-20 SEVIS Transfer application. Also, inform our office if you have any pending Permanent Residence applications or other visa issues.
5. Provide our office with a current residential address, both inside and outside of the U.S.
6. List the date you requested your online SEVIS record release from your previous school in your I-20 SEVIS Transfer application.
Once all items are submitted, our office will process the new I-20. Remember to keep both old and new I-20s, as the government can request previous I-20s for a variety of purposes.