Registering for Courses/Requesting Permits
To Register for Classes:
Login to the portal using your username and password from your UofM email.
Select the Student page from the bar at the top of the screen.
Find the Registration Tools portlet. This contains links these key registration functions plus a collection of help guides: Registration Status; Look Up Classes; Add or Drop Classes; and Concise Student Schedule. When selecting any of the registration functions, you will be prompted to enter a Term. Select the desired term (Spring, Fall, Summer) and click Submit.
Click on Registration Status to:
- Verify your earliest date to register; you cannot register before this date.
- Check to see if you have any holds; if you do, scroll to the bottom of the screen and click [View Holds] to see what you must do to remove the hold. You cannot register if you have a registration hold. Logout and clear the hold before attempting to register.
- Look for any permits issued to you. If you have a permit, make note of the CRN.
Click on Look Up Classes and then the Advanced Search option to look at course offerings. Select options to search for the classes you want. Click [Class Search]. Using the Search options, you can filter your results (for example, courses offered at a particular campus, online courses only, courses taught by a specific instructor, etc.).
Click on Add or Drop Classes to register for classes. Note: All degree seeking students must be advised. Non-degree seeking students do not need to be advised.
If you are a degree seeking student and have been cleared by your advisor to register (or if you are non-degree seeking):
- You will see the Add or Drop Classes Screen.
- Read the instructions and important information.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and enter your CRNs in the row of open blocks.
- Click [Submit Changes]. The screen will refresh and your courses will be listed. *Web Registered* will appear to the left of those courses you have successfully registered for. Courses you did not successfully register for will be listed below these and you will see a brief explanation of the problem.
- Refer to this list of common error messages.
- Adjust your classes as needed.
If you are a degree seeking student but have NOT been cleared by your advisor to register:
- You will get an Alternate PIN Verification page.
- Do not enter anything; logout instead.
- Meet with your advisor; only your advisor can clear this PIN. Once it is cleared, you will not see the Alternate PIN screen again during the semester and you will be able to register.
Click on Concise Student Schedule to view and print your personal class schedule after you have registered.
Logout: Click on the logout icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
To Request a Permit for a Class:
A permit is an electronic "permission slip" that allows you to register for a course section that is closed to you because it is full or has been labeled "restricted" or "permit required" by the academic department. If the section you want to register for carries the note "Restricted" or "Permit Required," you must receive an electronic permit before you can register for the course.
You must request a permit from the academic department offering the subject. If the department/unit agrees to allow you to register for the course, it will issue an electronic "permit" in the University's registration system. Until it issues this permit, the system will not allow you to register for the class.