Points of Pride
- We are the laboratory demonstration early childhood school for the University of Memphis and have been operating since 1959. We are members of the International Association of Laboratory Schools and hosted the national conference in spring, 2009 and 2017.
- We maintain our national accreditation through the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
- We are the only lab school in the U.S. that has both a Montessori and a Reggio Emilia-inspired classroom demonstration in a constructivist learning environment.
- All of our supervising teachers are master's level, clinical faculty for the University and we employ graduate students as teacher assistants. In 2008, the supervising teachers won the Dean's Award for Excellence in Teacher Education.
- We have collaborated research with university Colleges of Arts and Sciences, College of Communication and Fine Arts, College of Education, and the Confucius Institute.
- In October, we have an annual International Peace Day celebration to correlate with our Anti-Bias Peace Curriculum and Barbara K. Lipman's birthday.
- We are a very diverse school with as many as 14 countries represented in our enrolled children and their families.
- We have designated the Dr. Leslie C. Phillpsen Outdoor Classroom for observing and engaging in the natural world which is funded by our Parents Association of Lipman School. In April of each year P.A.L.S. sponsors a school wide celebration of Arbor Day.
- We have presented research at the TN Assoc. for Education of Young Children, the TN Assoc. for Childhood Education International, and the International Association for Laboratory Schools.