Rudi E. Scheidt School of Music College of Communication and Fine Arts Rudi E. Scheidt School of Music
University of Memphis Photo
Frequently Asked Questions

Do you offer lessons on my instrument?

The Rudi E. Scheidt School of Music provides applied lessons on: Piccolo, Flute, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Oboe, English Horn, Saxophone, Bassoon, Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, Baritone/Euphonium, Tuba, all Percussion instruments, Drumset, Piano, Organ, Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Bass Guitar, Classical Guitar, Jazz Guitar, Vocal Soprano, Vocal Mezzo Soprano, Vocal Alto, Vocal Contralto, Vocal Tenor, Vocal Counter-tenor, Vocal Bass, Jazz Voice, and more.

I have missed the application deadline. May I still apply?

Undergraduate applications that are submitted to the School of Music after the December 1 deadline for audition days will be accepted but more consideration can be given to students who apply to the School by December 1. The earlier the better regarding starting and submitting you application. Registration opens September 1.

When will I be notified about my audition results?

Undergraduate applicants are accepted, not accepted, or provisionally accepted into the School of Music. Auditionees are notified of audition results within two weeks after their audition by U.S. Postal Service mail.

What types of scholarships are available to prospective students?

Undergraduates see the Undergraduate Scholarships section of this site. Graduates see the Graduate Assistantships section of this site.

How do I apply for a scholarship?

Indicate that you are applying for a scholarship on your Undergraduate School of Music Application. Submit the application.

Are the scholarships renewable?

Scholarship letters define responsibilities of recipients. Most scholarships are renewable providing the recipient complies with conditions of scholarship contract.

When will I be notified about my scholarship?

Undergraduate students who have auditioned and been selected to receive a School of Music talent-based, performance scholarship start receiving notices by U.S. Postal Service mail beginning mid-March.

Is it possible to receive more than one scholarship?

If a student qualifies, yes. For example, deserving music students receive Talent Based and Academic scholarships.

What are the requirements for acceptance?

To become enrolled in the School of Music, all prospective students must apply and be accepted by both the Music School and by the University. Acceptance to the University does not mean acceptance into the music program. Acceptance by the Music School is contingent upon being accepted by the University.

What is a complete undergraduate application?

We have worked with DecisionDesk to provide six steps for undergraduates to fill out. When you log in to your account with DecisionDesk, in addition to providing your basic contact information, there are easy to fill in questions about your musical study and performance experience. There are questions about whether you are an Incoming Freshman or Transfer student etc. You will want to list the titles and composers of pieces you will play or sing. You will need to ask two recommenders for their email addresses so that DecisionDesk can contact them about a letter of recommendation for you. You will be asked to select the day you want to do a Live audition on. Providing a resume is optional. If you are a Music Industry applicant, you will want to upload your essay. That's it. Should you need tech type assistance, contact If it's something else, contact

What are the requirements for auditions?

See Audition Requirements on this site. Graduate applicants may also contact the appropriate applied faculty.

I have submitted my application to the School of Music. I simply must change something. What should I do?

Email with your requested change. Provide your name, application date, email address and phone number.

Who do I contact regarding financial aid?

You may call the Office of Student Financial Aid at 901.678.4825.

How do I schedule a Campus Tour?

Call U of M Recruitment and Orientation at 901.678.3994.

What are the basic tuition and fees for 2014-2015?

In 2014-15 undergraduate in-state students taking a full academic course load of 12 hours will pay $7,056 per year, plus mandatory fees of $1,563. In-state graduate students taking at least nine hours will pay $8,298 a year, plus any additional mandatory fees.

There is a special reduction than previously for students living within 250 miles of Memphis. Undergraduate students who graduated from a high school in the 250-mile radius are $12,456 per year plus mandatory fees.

All students, regardless of classification, who live outside of the 250-mile radius, will see a reduction in out-of-state tuition than previously. Full-time undergraduate students will pay an annual cost of $18,768. Full time graduate students taking nine hours of classes a semester will pay $17,082 out-of-state fees. All out-of-state students enrolled at the U of M’s Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law will pay $23,852.  Mandatory fees will be in addition to out-of-state tuition.

Metropolitan areas located in the 250-mile zone include: Little Rock, AR; St. Louis, MO; Birmingham, AL; and Jackson, MS.

These tuitions and fees take effect in Fall 2014 and apply to continuing students, as well as new students.

New out-of-state fees do not apply to students who live in the border counties of Crittenden, Desoto, Tate, Tunica and Marshall already attend the U of M at in-state rates.

All students will pay $307 more in mandatory fees for 2014-15, an increase approved by the Student Government Association for the purpose of building a new student recreation center.

All questions in regard to fees, fee payment, and refunds should be directed to the Bursar's Office, 115 Wilder Tower or by calling the Bursar's Office at (901) 678-2712 or email.  See .

Are there fees that I should know about above tuition, housing and meals?

Music students who take a half hour applied lessons once a week pay $160 per semester. Music students who take an hour applied lesson once a week pay $320 per semester. Practice room keys are $5 per semester. Lockers are $5 per semesterInstrumental rental is $25 per semester. Recitals are required by some degree programs starting in the junior year: recital fees are $50. Fees that vary are: accompanist fees, choir dress/tuxedo, books, and materials.

Do I have to audition for the School of Music and for the Band?

If you audition to be a music major, a music minor, or to take lessons on a scheduled Audition Day on campus, usually you will audition once for all faculty who need to hear you.

School of Music Overview

Text Only | Print | Got a Question? Ask TOM | Contact Us | Memphis, TN 38152 | 901/678-2000 | Copyright 2015 University of Memphis | Important Notice | Last Updated: 
College of Communication and Fine Arts | 901/678-2350 | Contact us
Last Updated: 7/2/14