Community Health Building
As one of the largest facilities for community health-related education and research in the Mid-South, the nearly 200,000 square feet, $60 million Community Health Building unites the faculty, staff, students and facilities of the Loewenberg College of Nursing and the School of Communication Sciences and Disorders. Loewenberg College of Nursing occupies the east wing, and the School of Communication Sciences and Disorders is located in the west wing. Nursing has eight labs with fully-functioning simulator manikins that allow students to practice inserting IVs, check blood pressure and even deliver a baby.
The building also houses the Memphis Speech and Hearing Clinic that allows CSD grad clinicians to diagnose and provide therapeutic services for speech, language, hearing and balance disorders. The labs feature state-of-the-art equipment to provide comprehensive learning and evaluations. It’s also home to one of only 50 anechoic chambers in the U.S. that is used in cutting-edge sound research.
Take a peek inside the Community Health Building and see some of our nursing students at work in our interactive tour of campus.
Designed using the State of Tennessee’s Sustainable Design Guidelines (with a focus on preserving our natural resources and protecting the health and well-being of occupants and visitors) so the building meets or exceeds minimum standards established by recognized sustainable and energy efficient design organizations such as LEED®, Green Globes®, and Energy Star®.
Equipment of note in the building:
- 11 research sound suites on the western “wing” of the building, for Audiology researchers in CSD
- An additional six clinical sound suites in the Memphis Speech & Hearing Center, doubling its former capacity
- Six simulation suites on the eastern “wing” of the building for the Loewenberg College of Nursing
Significance of the Location Site: Kennedy General Hospital opened at the intersection of Park and Getwell on January 26, 1943 and was named for the late Brigadier General James M. Kennedy, distinguished Army surgeon and veteran of both the Spanish-American War and World War I. Three years after opening, the hospital grew to be the largest Army general hospital in the nation. Kennedy had an emergency capacity of 5,300 beds and a peak of 6,000 patients in June and July, 1945. At the height of World War II in 1944, Army hospitals around the nation were filling with thousands of seriously wounded soldiers. More than 40,000 soldiers had been treated at Kennedy, all transported by train from the Normal Depot at the Memphis State College campus. Duty personnel included 200 officers, 400 nurses and over 1,200 enlisted men and women in service. One of the greatest services to be initiated at Kennedy that year was the Reconditioning Program through which convalescing patients were retrained and reconditioned for return to duty through planned exercises and athletics and by the constructive use of leisure time in educational pursuits.