Apply to LCON PhD Program
We're so excited to announce the addition of a doctorate program at the Loewenberg College of Nursing!
How to Apply
Spring admission only
Application & Interview dates
May 1 through December 1
Apply to the University of Memphis Graduate School.
PhD Admissions Criteria
The applicant must meet all criteria for admission to the graduate school. A master's degree is required for admission and international applicants will be expected to submit a minimum score of 550 on the paper, a 210 on the computer-based, or 79 on the internet based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
Additionally, applicants will:
- Possess an unencumbered RN license or equivalent in the student's state/nation of residence.
- Earned Master's Degree with minimum GPA of 3.0. If a GPA is not available, the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required with scores from the last five years with a minimum of verbal and quantitative score of 140 and analytical writing score of at least 3.0.
- Provide three letters of reference from individuals familiar with the applicant's capabilities for doctoral study and for future performance as a nurse scholar and researcher. Generally, two letters from former professors will be expected.
- Submit a personal statement of approximately 750-1000 words indicating his/her present interests and career goals, including how the PhD in Nursing will prepare the student to achieve those goals.
- Provide a writing sample (e.g., published paper, or coursework from previous degree program is acceptable).
- Provide a copy of the applicant's curriculum vitae (CV) or resume.
- Interview via phone, face-to-face, or Skype will be required.
The PhD Program Committee will review all submitted materials. Admissions decisions are made on the overall quality of the applicant's professional background in nursing, scholarship, academic ability, as well as the applicant's "fit" for the program in terms of academic background, research interests, and career goals.