BSN Nursing Student Requirements
All BSN Nursing Students are required to meet core performance standards throughout the program. Students must also be current in essential vaccinations, and maintain certifications and liability insurance to protect themselves and clients in their care, and to meet clinical site requirements.
Core Performance Standards
- Critical thinking ability sufficient for clinical judgment.
- Interpersonal abilities sufficient to interact with individuals, families, and groups from a variety of social, emotional, cultural, and intellectual backgrounds.
- Communication abilities sufficient for interaction with others in verbal and written form.
- Physical abilities sufficient to move from room to room and maneuver in small places.
- Gross and fine motor abilities sufficient to provide safe and effective nursing care.
- Auditory ability sufficient for observation and assessment necessary in nursing care.
- Visual ability sufficient for observation and assessment necessary in nursing care.
- Tactile ability sufficient for physical assessment.
Required Nursing Data Documents
Purchase Clinical Data Management Software (CDMS) from the University of Memphis Official Campus Store immediately. This can be purchased on line at www.bkstr.com/memphisstore/home, then search for Clinical Data Management Software by Mindstorm. Access will be granted to the system upon EMAIL submission of voucher and receipt from students memphis.edu email to (email@example.com). This software will be used to access and upload health data documents required for the nursing program.
- Criminal Background Check- completed prior to beginning program and annually thereafter.
- Authorization for Release of Student Information and Acknowledgement.
- Health Examination forms with proof of immunizations.
- Health Examination Form completed by a licensed health care provider.
- Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis: A current Tdap vaccination within past 10 years.
- Polio-evidence of childhood immunization or a positive antibody test.
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR): Evidence of 2 doses of MMR, 4 weeks apart or documentation of positive titers.
- Hepatitis B (Heptavax): Three dose series , titer showing immunity, or signed waiver.
- Varicella (chickenpox): Evidence of a positive varicella titer (date and result), documented history of disease, or verification of vaccine series (two). If titer is negative or equivalent, documentation of two varicella vaccines given no less than 4-8 eight weeks apart is required.
- PPD (TB skin test): An annual negative PPD test for tuberculosis or the statement from a health care provider attesting to a negative tuberculosis status.
- Influenza vaccine-1 dose of influenza vaccine annually (complete and provide documentation Sept-Dec) or physician documentation of allergy to chicken, eggs or feathers.
- CPR certification: Complete "Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider" certification as offered through the American Heart Association (AHA). Online CPR certification or re-certification is not accepted. Please note ONLY AHA certification is accepted.
- Urine Drug Screen: All students are required to submit results of a 12-panel drug screen 30 days prior to entering their first practicum course and annually thereafter.
- Malpractice Insurance: All nursing students are required to have current malpractice insurance throughout the program. BSN students are charged for insurance upon admission and every spring. RN-BSN students who have personal professional malpractice insurance may submit a current insurance certificate as proof of coverage (professional liability limits at $1MM/$5MM). Otherwise, the LCON will charge RN students for professional student malpractice insurance annually through the U of M Bursar's Office; please note that this insurance only covers practice in the academic clinical setting.
Click here for a printable version of this information.