Doctor of Philosophy in Social and Behavioral Sciences (PhD)
The Social and Behavioral Sciences doctoral program is based on the principle that health and health behaviors are influenced by multiple psychological, behavioral, social and cultural factors. This program is designed for master's prepared students who seek advanced training in social and behavioral science theories and methods. Due to the complex challenges of population health and healthcare delivery, the need for public health scholars with expertise in social and behavioral sciences continues to grow in academia, research, and practice. This CEPH-accredited interdisciplinary doctoral program is intended to be completed in three to four years. Students work closely with faculty mentors in research areas such as smoking, substance abuse, nutrition, physical activity, obesity, cancer, HIV/AIDS, STDs, and neighborhood environment. As a metropolitan research university, we are especially committed to health equity and social justice issues in urban communities. There are several competitive assistantships available with full tuition waiver and a $18,000 annual stipend.
Graduates of the PhD program will be prepared to:
- Conduct innovative, multidisciplinary, and translational research in community settings;
- Rigorously design, implement, and evaluate public health interventions and policies;
- Become involved with community-based projects, large cohort studies, and clinical trials; and
- Work with dedicated, expert mentors on collaborative projects and publications. View Curriculum >
- To qualify for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Social and Behavioral Sciences, the student must complete a minimum of 54 semester hours of graduate coursework beyond the Master's degree.
- No more than seven (7) credit hours in which a grade of C or below was earned will be counted toward degree requirements.
- Students must maintain an overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 point scale.
- A minimum of a 3.0 GPA is required for graduation, and grades of D or F will not apply toward the graduate degree.
Tuition and Fees
For the most current information regarding tuition, visit the University & Student Business Services' Fee Chart.
For frequently asked questions about the this program, please visit our Doctoral Degrees FAQ.
Shirl Sharpe, MS
Academic Services Coordinator II
Satish Kedia, PhD
SBS PhD Program Coordinator
Coordinator, Recruitment and Admissions