Viewing Student Records
If you are a University of Memphis faculty or administrative staff member, you may
request copies of student records, provided you have a legitimate need for these records
that pertains to your duties an an employee of the University.
You must complete the FERPA Tutorial before you can be given access to the Banner Student Information System.
For information regarding the privacy of student records and your responsibilities,
please read this University's policy/procedure: Privacy of Student Records (Compliance with FERPA).
What Are My Responsibilities?
If your request for student records is granted, you assume full responsibility for
protecting the confidential nature of the records transferred to you and for the use
of the information.
You should destroy (we recommend you shred) any of these unofficial student records
once you are through using them.
Never give one of these unofficial copies to students. Instead, suggest that they
print the information from the online registration system or request an official transcript. UM transcripts are free.
Never release a student's records to a third party unless both the student's written
authorization and an approved procedure--developed with the assistance of the Registrar's
Office for the student's particular requirements (e.g., packaging of application materials
for Nursing Certification)--are on file in the Registrar's Office.
What Sort of Records Are Available?
(View the Inventory of Academic and Student Education Records.)
Basically two types of records are available:
- Documents from Confidential Files . These files may include transcripts from other institutions, transfer credit evaluations,
entrance exam scores, college credit test scores, etc. Collectively, these records
are referred to as the students' Confidential Files.
- UM academic records. Hard copies of these are available from 1912 through the Summer 1994 term. Electronic
copies of U of M academic records are available from the Fall 1988 term forward.
- If the electronic copy of the academic records suits your needs, and if you have access
to online student information systems, then you don't need to go through the formal
procedure outlined in the next section. Simply view and print your own unofficial
- If you are a faculty member, you may also retrieve academic records through Faculty
How Do I Actually Go About Requesting Records?
Fill out a Request for Academic Record/Confidential File form (pdf). Complete the form and turn it in at the Transcripts desk in 003 Wilder
Tower; you may also obtain a copy of the form at the Transcripts desk and complete
Please remember the following when completing the form:
- Fill in all required information.
- Make sure that your "Purpose for Requesting Information" (a required field on the
form) is related to your official duties as a University of Memphis faculty or administrative
- Sign the form. No request will be processed without your signature. By signing you
not only formally request the records but acknowledge your responsibility in protecting
student privacy as well.
- FAX, mail, or deliver your form(s) to Transcripts, Wilder Tower 003, Memphis, TN 38152-3520,
If you have any questions or need clarification, you may call Transcripts at 901.678.3925.