Veterans Educ Benefits/Certification
Veterans Educational Benefits & Certification: FAQs

The Basic Questions

Which GI Bill® fits my needs?

Go to our Programs & Benefits page for this information.
(GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

How Do I apply for VA Educational Benefits?

Go to our Programs & Benefits page for this information.

Can National Guard or Reserve Tuition Assistance be used in conjunction with my GI Bill benefits?

Yes, however, depending on which GI Bill benefit you are claiming there may be an issue with duplicating benefits between VA, DoD, or both.

  • All Active Duty Service Members and Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) recipients- If you are eligible to receive TA and GI Bill Benefits, you cannot claim GI Bill benefits for a course that TA is already authorized to pay. The amount received from TA is deducted from the net cost of Tuition and Fees submitted to the VA.

How much credit can I expect to get for my military experience?

Students who served 12 consecutive months on active duty may receive up to 6 semester credit hours by submitting a copy of their DD-214 to the University of Memphis Admissions office. In order to apply for credit for prior military training or education, submit an official copy of your military transcript to the Admission Office, 201 Wilder Tower.

Will that credit count toward my degree program?

You may check to see how credits apply towards your degree plan by consulting with an academic advisor. Currently enrolled students may also check Umdegree by logging into the MyMemphis portal and clicking on the “My Degree” tab. Most credits are applied as elective credit.

How is my residency determined for paying in-state or out-of-state tuition?

Residency requirements are processed through the Admissions Office. If you have questions concerning these requirements, please contact Admissions (201 Wilder Tower; 901-678-2111;

Can my GI Bill benefits be transferred to by dependents?

The transferability option is available under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Service members may transfer unused benefits to their spouses or dependent children. For more specific information on how to transfer benefits, refer to the GI Bill website. Click on “Post 9/11 & Other Programs” tab. From the drop-down options, click “The Post 9/11 GI Bill.” From this transferability page, click on Transfer of Post-9/11 GI-Bill Benefits to Dependents (TEB) located on the left hand side.

How do I transfer my GI Bill benefits from another institution to UM?

If you are a Veteran or CH 33 dependent, complete VA form 22-1995. DEA dependents (CH 35) will complete 22-5495 application located on the GI Bill website:

  • Click “Apply for Benefits”
  • Click “Launch VONAPP”
  • Select the appropriate application either 22-1995 or 22-5495 from the drop-down menu and complete.
  • Once completed, click submit to electronically send your application to the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office for processing.

Who can help me to decide on a major?

If you are currently enrolled contact your academic advisor for help deciding on a major. If you need an advisor, contact Academic Counseling Center (212 Wilder Tower; 901-678-2065) to schedule an appointment.

How can I fulfill the admission requirement for the ACT or SAT?

Please contact Admissions (201 Wilder Tower; 901-678-2111; for information regarding ACT or SAT requirements.

What is a VA Deferment? How do I request a VA Deferment?

A VA Deferment is a request made by service members, veterans, and dependents of veterans who are eligible for and receiving VA educational assistance benefits to defer payment of Tuition and fees until the end of the term. You make a request for VA Deferment letter through the Veterans Educational Benefits & Certification Office (003 Wilder Tower) after you register for classes and complete a Veterans Request for Certification form.

What is Advance Pay? How do I apply?

Advance pay is available for those receiving benefits under GI Bill Educational programs other than CH 33 Post 9/11. Veterans and dependents who are registered for half-time or more credit hours may apply for Advance pay. Contact the Veterans Educational Benefits & Certification Office for eligibility requirements and the Advance pay application.

Other FAQs

Ask Tom

The University's Ask TOM database serves as a repository for answers to some of the more commonly asked questions by U of M students. Many of the questions/answers pertain to Veterans and their benefits.

Q: Can I defer the payment of my tuition and fees if I am receiving veterans benefits?
Q: How will my veterans benefits be affected if my instructor reports me as "never attended" or "stopped attending"?
Q: Can I enroll at U of M and another institution simultaneously and still receive benefits for attending both institutions?
Q: When can I apply for advance payment?
Q: Why do I have to fill out a VA certification form every semester?
Q: How soon should I submit my VA paperwork for an upcoming term?
Q: How does the VA determine which courses I'll receive VA pay for?
Q: What happens if I fail the courses I am taking with my VA benefits?
Q: Whom do I notify about a change-of-address if I am using VA benefits?
Q: Do I have to enroll as a full-time student to use my VA benefits?
Q: What do I need to do to receive credit for prior military training/education?

Department of Veteran Affairs

Visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website for a list of over 400 frequently asked questions and answers.


Benefits & Certification Home


Text Only | Print | Got a Question? Ask TOM | Contact Us | Memphis, TN 38152 | 901/678-2000 | Copyright 2015 University of Memphis | Important Notice | Last Updated: 
Admissions | Financial Aid | Registrar | Scholarships
Office of the Registrar | 003 Wilder Tower | Memphis, TN 38152-3520 | Ph: 901.678.2810 | Fx: 901.678.5757
Last Updated: 2/13/15