Residence Life Student Employment Positions
Welcome to the Residence Life Student Employment webpage. Listed below are some of
student employment postions in with Residence Life.
Conference Assistant (CA)
- Conference Assistants are University of Memphis students selected as live-in staff
in the residence halls used for Summer Conference Housing. Their primary responsibilities
include staffing each front desk, checking guests in and out, familiarizing guests
with university policies and procedures, and serving as resource persons. They are
the front line staff of the Conference Housing operation. There is at least one Conference
Assistant on duty every night in each hall in addition to the Conference Assistant
available at the front desk.
Desk Assistant (DA)
- Desk Assistants are an essential link in the security and communication channels of
a hall. They cannot perform these tasks without consistent information and support
from the hall staff. It is important for the desk worker to know who is “on duty”
and their location at all times.
Facility Assistant (FA)
- Changing light bulbs, and smoke detector batteries. Replacing window screens, moving
furniture and other heavy items. Doing minor patchwork to walls/drywalls and /or painting
students rooms and other public areas within the Residence Halls. Power-washing of
the outside of the buildings, picking up supplies for various staff members, and some
- Other duties as assigned.
Resident Advisor (RA)
- Resident are selected on the basis of their leadership experience, residence in a
hall, scholarship, and desire to help residents realize their opportunities for self
– development through group living in the residence halls. You are responsible for
a floor or apartment unit housing approximately 50 residents and are directly responsible
to your Assistant Area Coordinator (AAC).
- Restechs are Information Technology support technicians assisting departmental LSPs.
Some of their duties are configuring computers, multi-function printers, servers,
network cameras, webpage development, programming, menu board systems, electronic
key access systems; installing standard and special software on workstations and laptops;
troubleshooting and/or repairing on-campus housing residents' laptops, computers,
printers and mobile phones.
- Note: Students must maintain a 2.25 GPA to be considered for the Conference Assistant
and Resident Advisor positions.
- Note: Students must maintain a 2.00 GPA to be considered for the Desk Assistant and
Facility Assistant, and Restech positions.