- Ph.D., Environmental Sciences, University of Florida
- MS, Biology, Central Michigan University
- Michigan State University, Kellogg Biological Station
- BS, Biology, University of Michigan
- Health risks of contaminants in seafood
- Use of risk assessment in policy and decision-making
- Community-based participatory research to assess and address environmental contamination
- Managing toxic substances in surface and drinking water
- Hites, R., J.A. Foran, D. Carpenter, M.C. Hamilton, B. Knuth, and S. Schwager. 2004.
Global assessment of organic contaminants in farmed salmon. Science 303:226-229.
- Foran, J.A., D. Good, D. Carpenter, B.A. Knuth, M.C. Hamilton, S.J. Schwager. 2005.
Quantitative analysis of the benefits and risks of consuming farmed and wild salmon.
J. Nutr. 135:2639-2643.
- DeWeese, A., N. Kmiecik, E.R. Madsen, E.D. Chiriboga, and J.A. Foran*. 2009. Risk-
and cultural-basedfish consumption advice for Anishinaabe in the 1837 and 1842 ceded
territories of Michigan, Minnesota,and Wisconsin. Risk Analysis 29(6):729-742. (*corresponding
- Foran, J.A., A. DeWeese, N. Kmiecik, and M. Hudson. 2010. Probabilistic estimates
of exposure and risk reduction associated with targeted fish consumption advice for
Anishinaabe tribal members. J. Environ. Public Health, Vol 2010, #802584. Available at: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jeph/contents.html.
- Foran, J.A. 2011. Water Contamination and Treatment. In: Occupational and Environmental Health. Sixth Edition. B.S. Levy, D.H. Wegman, S.L. Baron, and R.K. Sokas, editors. Lippincott, Williams,
and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA.
- Foran, J.A. 2011 (in press). What is can be and is being done about water pollutants?
In: Water and Sanitation-Related Diseases and the Environment: Challenges, Interventions,
and Preentive Measures. J. Selendy and B. Levy eds. Wiley-Blackwell Pub.