Chunrong Jia, PhD
Associate Professor, Division of Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and Environmental Health
About Chunrong Jia
Dr. Jia's research interests are in human exposure to air pollutants and the associated health effects. He is especially interested in cumulative health effects from exposure to multi environmental, social, behavioral, and physical stressors. Dr. Jia's research activities over the past 15 years include indoor and ambient air pollution, exposure and risk assessment of air toxics, environmental epidemiology, statistical and empirical modeling of air pollution, sampling and analytical methodologies for air pollutants, and environmental disparities. His research has been/are being funded by multiple grants. The range and scope of these activities are reflected in over 50 peer-reviewed journal articles, over 40 conference presentations, and a number of scientific reports. Dr. Jia's environmental monitoring laboratory has a number of sophisticated instruments (e.g., Agilent 7890A/5975C GC/MS) that can measure a wide range of air pollutants. Dr. Jia was recently selected to the Harvard University JPB Environmental Health Fellowship Program, and is working with other fellows to advance multidisciplinary environmental health research.
- PhD, Environmental Health Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, U.S.A., 2007
- ME, Environmental Engineering, Nankai University, Tianjin, China, 2001
- BS, Environmental Sciences, Nankai University, Tianjin, China, 1998
- Air pollution exposure and risk assessment
- Environmental epidemiology
- Sampling and analytical techniques for air pollutants
- Indoor air quality (IAQ)
- Environmental disparity
- Liu B*, Jia CR. 2015. Effects of profession on urinary PAH metabolite levels in the US population. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health. doi: 10.1007/s00420-015-1057-7.
- Liu B*, Jia CR. 2015. Effects of exposure to mixed volatile organic compounds on the neurobehavioral test performance in a cross-sectional study of US adults. International Journal of Environmental Health Research. 25(4): 349-363.
- Jia CR*, James W, Kedia S. 2014. Relationship of racial composition and cancer risks from air toxics exposure in Memphis, Tennessee, U.S.A. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 11(8): 7713-7724.
- Jia CR*, Ward KD, Mzayek F, Relyea F. 2014. Blood 2,5-dimethyfuran as a sensitive and specific biomarker for cigarette smoking. Biomarkers. 19(6): 457-462.
- Jia CR*, Foran JA. 2013. Air toxics concentrations, source identification, and health risks: An air pollution hot spot in Southwest Memphis, TN. Atmospheric Environment. 81: 112-116.
- Chin J-Y, Godwin C, Jia CR, Robins T, Lewis T, Parker E, Max P, Batterman S*. 2013. Concentrations and risks of p-dichlorobenzene in indoor and outdoor air. Indoor Air. 23(1): 40-49.
- Jia CR*, Batterman S, Relyea GE. 2012. Variability of indoor and outdoor VOC measurements: An analysis using variance components. Environmental Pollution. 169: 152-159.
- James W, Jia CR*, Kedia S. 2012. Uneven magnitude of disparities in cancer risks from air toxics. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 9(12): 4365-4385.
- Jia CR*, Yu XH, Maziak W. 2012. Blood/air distribution of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in a nationally representative sample. Science of the Total Environment. 419: 225-232.
- Zhu XL, Jia CR*. 2012. Apportioning variability of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and chlordanes in indoor and outdoor environments. Journal of Environmental Monitoring. 14: 1926-1934.