Prospective International Students

Thank you for your interest in the School of Public Health! We are excited for you to begin or continue your educational journey with us.


Who do I contact for questions about the admissions process?

A For questions regarding the admissions process for the School of Public Health, please contact Shirl Sharpe. For questions regarding the admission process for the Graduate School, please contact Christie Rakestraw.

What standardized tests do I need to take?

Generally, all applicants are required to submit a recent GRE score (within the past 5 years). Applicants may be exempt or may substitute other standardized test scores (MCAT, DAT, GMAT, or LSAT) for the GRE under special circumstances, such as possession of a terminal degree. Once you decide on a degree program, review the minimum requirements to determine the appropriate standardized test. Keep in mind, test results can take up to five weeks to reach SOPHAS.

For questions about GRE exemptions, please contact the program director.

Do I need to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores with my application??

Applicants whose native language is not English are expected to have an acceptable score on either the Test for English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or the International English Language Test System (IELTS). For more information on the admissions process for international applicants, please visit the Graduate Catalog.

How much does it cost to apply?

The SOPHAS application fee is $135 USD for the first designated school and $50 USD for each additional school. You will also need to apply to the graduate school. The cost for international students is $60.

What is the total cost of attendance??

For the most current information regarding tuition, visit University & Student Business Services.

Are there any scholarships available??

  • Dr. Paul E Fitzgerald, Jr Memorial Scholarship
    • Recipient shall be enrolled as a full-time student at the University of Memphis and be fully admitted to the Graduate Program in Health Administration (MHA). Preference shall be given to students who demonstrate financial need. The amount of each award shall be a minimum of $500 per year, and students may receive this award for a maximum of two (2) years, based on continued eligibility and funding.
  • Visit the Graduate School Awards and Fellowships page and the Scholarship Office for more opportunities.

Will I be able to live on-campus while studying at UofM SPH?

For information on Graduate and Student Family Housing, please contact ResLife.

Where's my I-20? 

International students need to contact International Student Services.

What's the admissions process?

For most students within the School of Public Health, the admissions process requires two steps:

  1. Apply to SOPHAS or HAMPCAS
  2. Apply to the Graduate School

I haven't heard anything about my application. When will they make a decision?

Check to make sure you fully completed and submitted both the SOPHAS/HAMPCAS application and Graduate School application. After both applications are fully completed and submitted, applicants typically receive a decision within 4-6 weeks from the School of Public Health.

What is your transfer credit policy?

Please visit the Graduate Catalog.

How do I obtain a Graduate Assistantship within SPH?

If positions are available, faculty within SPH will reach out to students according to the resume provided as part of the application process. Graduate assistantships are not guaranteed to all students. For more information on Graduate Assistantships, please visit the Graduate School.

Will I be able to work while in school?

We offer courses in the afternoon, at night, and/or online to accommodate working students.