Travel and Travel Reimbursements: A Shared Responsibility
Important Notice: As the accessibility to the vaccine increases and infection rates nationally continue to decrease, we are adjusting our COVID-19 safety protocols. Based on CDC and local health guidelines, the University of Memphis is eliminating the requirement for additional approvals for faculty and staff University-related travel within the United States. University-related international travel still requires approval by the provost for faculty travel or the CFO for staff travel to ensure that plans are consistent with State Department recommendations. As a reminder, members of the University community, including visitors to the UofM coming from countries with CDC Level 2 and 3 rating at the time of arrival in the U.S., regardless if the trip was related to University business or personal, are required to observe a 14-day self-quarantine period and must produce a medical clearance prior to returning to campus.
The Shared Services Center (SSC) is currently providing support for domestic in-state and out-of-state travel, international, and blanket travel for faculty, staff and student/guest travel.
Note: Travel, within the SSC, is a multi-faceted process. Any business trip which includes reimbursement will involve different people/units, depending on where in the cycle the travel planning or reimbursement is located.
The Traveler's responsibilities include:
- Obtaining prior authorization to travel from an administrative superior or other administrative official.
- Retain all required receipts.
- Submitting claims for reimbursement no later than thirty (30) calendar days after the completion of travel.
The Financial Manager's responsibilities include:
- Providing Index # and travel budget.
- Creating the Travel Purchase Order.
- Updating the Traveler on the status of their travel P.O. and reimbursement.
- Starting the Travel Reimbursement process.
- Checking the travel claim to ensure all expenses are allocable and allowable for the trip.
- E-mailing approved travel claims & receipts to the Shared Services Center (PDF format preferred).
Shared Services Center responsibilities include:
- Audit travel claim for accuracy and completeness.
- Submit claim to Accounting for payment.
- Providing timely and accurate customer service.
If you have any additional questions, please contact the SSC at ext. 2052 or email@example.com.