Mission & Goals
The mission of the Student Success Program is to increase retention and graduation
of students who are first generation, low-income, or students who have a documented
disability. We work to foster an institutional climate supportive of the success of
a diverse group of students who have an academic need by providing educational opportunities,
giving attention to individual needs, and emphasizing academic excellence.
- Recruit and enroll 340 students each project year (200 TRIO Classic/120 TRIO STEM/20
new First Scholars).
- Build a supportive, welcoming environment with a sense of community and cohesion among
SSP staff and participants.
- Develop strong participant connections to The University of Memphis by assisting students
to become involved and engaged in University organizations, activities, and mentor
- Provide an intrusive, structured program to set participants up for success and prevent
early participant discouragement and failure.
- Present a variety of workshops and cultural activities that will address the academic,
personal, career, financial, technological, and social development of SSP participants.
- Provide financial-based incentives to help participants work less hours, live on campus,
and stay enrolled and successful in school.
- Forge key relationships and develop partnerships to support SSP mission.
How Can SSP Help?
The primary goal of the SSP program is to increase the retention, persistence, performance,
and baccalaureate graduation rates for eligible students. Our services are designed
- Assist students with academic, financial, and personal skills for success in college and in everyday life.
- Provide assistance with the application process for financial aid and scholarships.
- Expose students to the process of career exploration as well as the different careers and their requirements.
- Assist students in securing admissions and financial aid for enrollment in graduate and professional programs.
- Offer cultural and business experiences and campus involvement that encourage a broader worldview and expand familiarity
with the academic community.
- Provide students with the tools needed to make their educational goals become a reality!