Self-Awareness & Personal Behavior
It is important to know yourself and what strengths and skills you bring to any given environment. Completing a variety of different personality and strength assessments will help you learn more about yourself. By reflecting on your results and experiences, you will be able to articulate what you learned, the skills you used and developed, and be able to apply them to future circumstances. While you are utilizing your strengths and skills, it is important to behave professionally. It means being punctual, holding yourself accountable, and having initiative. If the moment becomes too strenuous, be mindful of yourself and remember the resources that surround you to help cope.
Students will be able to:
- Understand their personality, beliefs, interests, and values and acts accordingly.
- Value others' feedback as it contributes to their own development.
- Make decisions and act accordingly in the face of ambiguity.
- Take responsibility for their actions and understand how to learn from failure.
Examples of opportunities to enhance this competency at the University of Memphis:
- Take an online personality assessment such as the MBTI, True Colors, Enneagram, Strengths Finder, etc.
- Utilize the counseling center to develop skills to help cope with stressful situations.
- Join Tiger Leadership Institute to learn about yourself, your leadership style, and others.
- Complete a mock interview with Career Services and receive constructive criticism.