To accommodate our MAT teacher candidates who need to clinical teach elsewhere, the Office of Teacher Education and Clinical Practice will facilitate a limited number of clinical teaching placements outside the Greater Memphis and Jackson-Madison County areas each Fall and Spring semester. These placement requests are granted only for cases of documented need. Accepted reasons include, but are not limited to: online MAT candidate who lives outside the mid-south, job relocation of spouse and illness of a family member.
The Office of Teacher Education and Clinical Practice carefully considers each courtesy placement request and reserves the right to deny any requests not deemed necessary. Students requesting courtesy placements must have a 3.0 GPA and pass all Praxis II exams required for licensure in order to receive a courtesy placement.
The following steps must be followed to request a Courtesy Placement:
- Contact the University of Memphis Clinical Practice Office at least nine months prior to the anticipated date of the courtesy placement.
- Identify and contact the Clinical Practice Office of an NCATE accredited university in the area where you wish to clinical teach. The host university will have its own requirements for you. Please follow their instructions.
- Request that an email from the University of Memphis Clinical Practice Office be sent to the host university. Be sure to provide the name and email address of the person to whom this letter is to be sent.
- Complete and submit a University of Memphis Clinical Teaching application, by the 1st Tuesday in March for Fall placement or 1st Tuesday in September for Spring placement.
- Register for Clinical Teaching and seminar at the University of Memphis when instructed by the Clinical Practice Office.
PLEASE NOTE: You are responsible for any additional costs required by the host university.