Recognition of Academic Performance
The University of Memphis recognizes outstanding academic performance in a variety of ways. In addition to those listed below, there are other honors and awards listed in the descriptions of the various honors programs.
The Dean's List
The Dean's List is composed of those students who have 12 or more earned hours in the fall or spring semesters with a minimum grade point average of 3.5 for that semester.
Graduation With Distinction
Students who intend to achieve Graduation with Distinction must do the following:
1 Fulfill all graduation requirements at the University of Memphis.
2 Earn the following minimum grade point average on both their U of M and inclusive* GPA to achieve the listed designations:
▪ 3.2500-3.4999 Cum Laude
▪ 3.5000-3.7999 Magna Cum Laude
▪ 3.8000-4.0000 Summa Cum Laude
*Inclusive GPA refers to the combination of the student's U of M GPA and the GPA from college level transfer courses.
In cases where the student's U of M GPA and the inclusive GPA earn them different distinctions, the student will receive the lower of the two distinctions.
The actual conferral of Graduation with Distinction cannot be made until the student's U of M and inclusive GPA has been certified by the College/School. Transitional Academic Studies courses (DSP) are not considered in calculating eligibility for Graduation with Distinction. College level courses used to satisfy high school deficiencies will be considered in the computations to determine eligibility for Graduation with Distinction.
Transfer Credit in the GPA
NOTE: Beginning Summer 2015, a Tennessee Board of Regents' state-wide policy on transfer credit and GPA calculations takes effect. Beginning Summer 2015, transfer credit will be reflected in earned hours, but will no longer apply to the overall GPA (used to determine undergraduate graduation, graduation with distinction, and athletic eligibility) or to the overall combined GPA (used to determine academic standing, financial aid, and scholarship eligibility, except for HOPE):
- For New Transfer students admitted Summer 2015 and later, no transfer credit will count in GPA.
- For Readmitted students readmitted Summer 2015 and later, no transfer credit taken since last attending the U of M will count in the GPA. Any transfer work previously processed will continue to be reflected in the GPA.
- For Continuing students, no transfer credit submitted to and received by the U of M Summer 2015 or later will count in the GPA. Any transfer work previously processed will continue to be reflected in the GPA.