Canvas Observer Role
What Is an Observer in Canvas?
The Observer role is a feature unique to Canvas. This role allows a Canvas user to be linked with a student or multiple students and view those students’ progress in a course. Observers cannot submit work on behalf of the students they observe, but they can see grades, assignments, events, and course interactions for the students they are linked with as observers. Canvas’ Basics Guide (2022) provides details related to this role:
Observers cannot submit work on behalf of the students they observe, but they can see grades, assignments, events, and course interactions for the students they are linked with as observers.
- Comment on announcements or discussions
- Submit assignments or quizzes
- View course rosters
- Send messages to students they are not observing
- View locked files or folders
- Join groups
- View unpublished courses
- Access the Chat tool
- View grade audit trail
- Observers can view the same content as the student they are observing unless the content is unpublished or restricted by locked dates.
- Observers can view assignment overview and instructions even if the student they are observing has not completed them unless the assignments are locked.
To learn more about observer participation, please review the Observers Visibility and Participation PDF.
How is the Observer role used at The University of Memphis?
The Center for Athletic Academic Services (CAAS) is currently using the Observer role to support student-athletes.
- CAAS staff Observers can only view academic information for student-athletes.
- A list of student-athletes and their CAAS Staff Observer is provided to Dr. Katie Sharpe (email@example.com) with the University Libraries/UM3D who provides CAAS staff Observer access in Canvas.
- Student-Athletes sign a waiver allowing CAAS staff to track their academic progress
as an Observer and monthly academic progress requests.
- This waiver was approved from University General Counsel in 2015.
- CAAS uses the academic information gathered for daily and weekly grade reports that are sent to coaches and for early intervention with students who are doing poorly to implement more academic programming (study hall, tutors, mentor meetings, etc.). Observer allows CAAS staff to gather student-athlete academic progress on more students more efficiently, effectively (helps our staff prepare for individual meetings with students), and expediently.
- CAAS staff can only see what the student they are observing sees in Canvas, and you, the professor can track where CAAS staff visits and how long they remain in those areas on Canvas. CAAS staff cannot see or take quizzes, tests, or view quizzes or test questions prior to a quiz-based assessment.
- As CAAS has done with one Faculty Senate staff member, CAAS staff would be more than happy to meet with you to show you the Observer role from their perspective. Just contact Fernandez West at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CAAS goal is to work with the Faculty Senate and other constituents moving forward and openly communicate Observer access before each semester. UM student-athletes lead the conference with a 94% graduation success rate and our Spring 2022 Departmental GPA of 3.24 is the 3rd highest we have ever had.
If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Associate Athletic Director, Academic Services, Dr. Fernandez West: office (901-678-3467) or cell (865-712-0057). Below is a list of CAAS staff members and their sport responsibilities.
How do faculty “Opt-Out” of having Observers in their course(s)?
Before the start of each semester, Fernandez West, the Associate Athletic Director, Academic Services, will email all faculty who have CAAS Staff Observers in their course that term. If you, as a faculty member, do not feel comfortable having CAAS staff utilizing the Observer role for your class, you can ‘Opt-Out’ by emailing, the Director of Academic Learning Support, Dr. Katie Sharpe (email@example.com). *Please note that you will need to make this opt-out request each semester.*
Fernandez West (firstname.lastname@example.org; 901.678.3467)
Associate Athletic Director, Director of CAAS - Mixed Rifle
Kristin Williams (email@example.com; 901.678.3466)
Assistant Athletic Director - Baseball and Women’s Tennis
Kimi Videto (firstname.lastname@example.org; 901.678.5586)
Athletic Academic Counselor – Women’s Basketball, Women’s Soccer, Women’s Volleyball
Kyle Wallace (email@example.com; 901.678.3982)
Athletic Academic Counselor – Football (Defense)
Jalen Phillips (firstname.lastname@example.org; 901.678.2447)
Athletic Academic Counselor – Football, Men’s Tennis, Women’s Softball, Women’s Golf, Men’s Golf
Jordan Mabile (email@example.com; 901.678.3309)
Athletic Academic Counselor – Men’s and Women’s Cross Country and Track and Field, Men’s Soccer
Julianne Weidman (firstname.lastname@example.org; 901.678.2429)
Learning Specialist/Athletic Academic Counselor – Men’s Basketball, Monitors a variety of students