Parent Handbook: Student Life

Living On & Off Campus

Living On Campus

On-campus housing is defined as housing that is owned by the University. These include residence halls, apartments, and family housing. The Department of Residence Life is available to help you and your son or daughter. Residence Life has information for students and their families about residence hall life, including information about what to bring to campus, dining options, and how to get involved in residence hall activities. On-campus living is a unique experience for college students and we hope that your student will choose to have this opportunity.

Important Dates for On-Campus Residents

  • The first six weeks of school are crucial for students to become connected with the Memphis community. As a parent, you can help by encouraging your student to get involved on campus.
  • Most traditional residence halls close for school breaks, including spring break, and winter break no re-entry during both these times (no exceptions).
  • Eligible students can apply for housing for the following academic year beginning November 1 at 12:01 a.m.
  • ResLife Calendar

Residence Life

Resident Meal Plans

Students who reside in a residence hall are not required to purchase a meal plan. Resident plans are purchased through room and board charge and vary by residence hall. Students can select 7, 10, 14 or all access plans that include declining balance dollars that can be used at any dining facility and some vending machines.

Tiger Dining901.678.2295

Living Off Campus

“Off-campus” housing is housing that is not owned by the University. This includes apartments, houses, and fraternity houses. Students living off campus should research housing options very carefully to see what they receive and what is expected from every option. 

When searching for an off-campus residence, you and your student should keep the following in mind:

  • Safety must be an important priority. Encourage your student to choose safe living, even if it costs a little more.
  • The University of Memphis does not inspect or endorse any off-campus rental properties.
  • Students have to carefully check out potential housemates and thoroughly inspect a rental property before signing a lease.

Commuter Meal Plans

Meal plans tailored specifically to commuter students are available through Dining Services. Students may also choose any of the other available meal plans. Students may also add funds to their Tiger Funds account to use at dining locations or in vending machines.

Dining Services

Parking & Transportation

Parking On Campus

General parking is available on campus and a permit is included in the cost of tuition. Students will receive a permit in the mail prior to their first semester of classes. If registered before the deadline, students will receive subsequent permit stickers for the remaining semesters that they are enrolled. If students would like to park in priority lots, including the parking garages, they will need to apply for a priority parking permit with the Parking Services office. These spots are limited and students should apply as soon as possible for these permits. There is an extra charge for the priority parking permit.

Parking Services

Nighttime Transportation

Students that are on campus at night and who do not feel comfortable walking to their car or dorm can call on Tiger Escort. Tiger Escort will pick up students all around campus and escort them to their car or to their residence hall. Normal hours for the Fall and Spring semesters are from 6:00 pm to 2:00 am seven days a week.

Tiger Escort Program
901.678.4663 (901.678.HOME)

Activities, Clubs, & Recreation

Research highlights the positive influence of involvement outside the classroom on ways in which students grow and develop. Students who are involved in experiences outside of the classroom perform better in academics and in life. UofM offers numerous ways for students to experience leadership, diversity, community spirit, and Memphis pride.

Registered Student Organizations

The University of Memphis currently has approximately 170 Registered Student Organizations (RSO) and the numbers are growing every day. Registered Student Organizations (RSO) offer programs, events, leadership opportunities, and activities that reflect the diverse nature of our student body.

Whether your student is looking for a group that supports athletics or the arts, community service or cultural awareness, religious or political activism, the Greek community or academic scholarship, there's an Registered Student Organization for him or her.

Student Leadership and Involvement Office
Student Engagement

Fraternity & Sorority Life

About 10% of the undergraduate population at the University is a member of a fraternity or sorority. These organizations recruit new members in the fall and spring semesters. The Fraternity & Sorority Affairs office oversees all Greek organizations on campus and is ready to answer student and parent questions.

Fraternity & Sorority Affairs

Campus Recreation

The Office of Campus Recreation and Intramural Services (CRIS) manages the Student Recreation and Fitness Center and offers a variety of recreation activities. Students can participate in Fitness and Aerobic classes or sign up for personal training sessions. Intramural and club sports are offered in both the Fall and Spring semesters. CRIS also offers students the opportunity to rent outdoor gear if they would like to enjoy the great outdoors, but are unable to store their personal equipment in their dorm or apartment.

Campus Recreation and Intramural Services

Religious Life

Most religious faiths and traditions have representatives in the Memphis area. Many of the groups maintain student centers and campus ministries concerned with ethical and spiritual issues as they touch on students’ lives and on the life of the University. For a full list of organizations on campus, please visit the religious life website.

International Students

The International Student Office supports the international population at The University of Memphis by providing advice on immigration matters, employment, taxation, cultural adjustment, and other practical issues. We are also responsible for maintaining University compliance with the United States Student and Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS) which reports directly to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement office. Additionally, we conduct an international student orientation each semester, coordinate insurance information, and assist student groups in the development of International Night and other cultural functions.

International Student Office

Cultural Opportunities

The University of Memphis is home to the Art Museum at the University of Memphis that showcases its permanent collection, world-renowned artists, students, and faculty work. The permanent collection includes a one of a kind collection of Egyptian antiquities, a gift of more than 180 pieces of Sub-Saharan African art from Martha and Robert Fogelman, more than 1,000 works on paper, as well as various cultural artifacts, including two suits of Japanese armor, flintlock dueling pistols, Ethiopian spear points, ancient Greco-Roman glass, and Navaho textiles. The museum is free to students.

The Rudi E. Scheidt School of Music at the University of Memphis is internationally recognized for artistic and academic excellence. Students and faculty are highly involved in the presentation of a variety of work. For a calendar of events of performances, please visit the School of Music website.

The Department of Theatre and Dance also performs their work on a regular basis for students, faculty, staff and the community. All performances are held in the Communication and Fine Arts building on the main campus. For the current season, please visit the Department of Theatre and Dance website.

There are also a variety of cultural opportunities in the city of Memphis. We hope that you will enjoy the city’s offerings when you come to visit your son or daughter as we believe that there is something for everyone in our city.

Art Museum at the University of Memphis

Rudi E. Scheidt School of Music

Department of Theatre and Dance

On-Campus Employment

Many parents and students find that having a part-time job while in college not only provides students with much-needed spending money, but also helps them to budget their time better, and thus use their available study time more effectively. Throughout the University and the community there are many different types of employment opportunities for your son or daughter.

Just about every office and department within the University, from Admissions to Psychology, hires students each year. In addition, students will find many jobs in the residence halls as resident advisors or desk clerks. Often, employed students are able to work around class and final exam schedules. For some jobs, students must be participants in the Federal Work-Study program (a type of financial aid). For others, students do not need to be participants in the Work-Study program. Most jobs are posted through the Financial Aid Office Student Employment Listings, but some are not. If there is an office or department that your son or daughter would like to work for, but nothing is 'posted,' encourage him or her to call or stop by the office to inquire.

Regular Student Positions

Federal Work Study Student Positions