Here are a few things to keep in mind when working from home.
If you need. .
A home computer
Hardware Recommendations: The University of Memphis has negotiated with several hardware vendors to provide special pricing for personal purchases by faculty, staff, and students.
External Webcam Recommendations
Below are the recommended minimum specifications for those laptops that do not include a webcam, or if you are using a desktop computer that does not include a web cam.
Note: Most laptops include an integrated webcam. This should be sufficient for participation in online courses and video conferencing.
Microsoft Office Lens (iOS and Android)
Faculty, staff, or students needing to capture a physical document can use the Office Lens App (iOS and Android) to capture an image of a document and convert it to PDF that can be emailed or saved to OneDrive. This can be used in lieu of a scanner to submit documents.
Microsoft Office Lens can be found in the App Store for iOS and Google Play Store for Android.
Remote Lab and Application Access
The Virtual Lab in umApps provides easy, web-based access to a variety of specialized applications such as SPSS, Mathematica, Microsoft Word, and many more. University students and faculty can access the Virtual Lab from any PC or Mac, on and off campus.
Note: For the best experience, we recommend accessing umApps with an internet connection of at least 10 Mbps.
Find out more information about accessing the Virtual Lab in umApps here.
If you need . . .
- Access to group or department shared files and folders
- Access to Banner, Matrix, Argos or other business applications
- Access to specialized software on your office computer (i.e. Adobe applications)
Using Remote Desktop, you can use all of your office computer's programs, files, and
network resources from your home computer just like you're sitting in front of your
computer at work. Find instructions on our VPN and Remote Desktop page.
Note: When working on the university’s VPN, we recommend that the latest Microsoft or Apple security patches are applied, and that university data is handled in accordance with the University’s Data Security Policy.
If you need . . .
- Chat in real time with coworkers – find instructions on our Zoom or Teams page.
- Video conferencing – find instructions on our umMedia page.
- Please submit a work order for all Telecom and Network requests.
- Have users change greeting message on voicemail to inform caller's best way to reach them (email or cell phone number).
- Link an extension number to an email address, so voicemail notifications can be sent to the user. Note: Phone number and email address is required.
- Phone numbers above 5000 and all Lambuth numbers can be forwarded through the AT&T portal by Network Services. Once this is enabled, it will not be disabled until the telecommuting assignment has changed.
- Due to high number of requests, forwarding extensions between 0000 and 4999 to an outside local number will be reviewed on a case by case basis and based on intuitional needs.
Answering the Phones for Call Centers
- User must have an Avaya VoIP phone to answer call center numbers.
- Configuration of IP phones will be performed by Network Services.
Visit https://ummail.memphis.edu to access your university email anytime.
Microsoft Office 365
Microsoft Office 365 is available for installation on personal devices for all faculty and staff. Visit https://memphis.edu/getoffice sign in with your university email address and password, and click Install Office to download and install Office365 on your device.
OneDrive Online Storage
OneDrive (Microsoft's Internet-based storage platform) is available for use with internal and external (non-UofM) colleagues. This service provides a solution for sharing documents with others while working on research, class projects or administrative collaboration. Remember, the use of this service should align with all UofM policies and guidelines. (Please see UM1691 Campus Data Security Policy and the ITS Data Storage Guidelines.)
To access OneDrive, visit the University of Memphis Office 365 Webmail site (authenticate using your UUID and password). Look for the App Launcher (9 tiles in a square) at the upper left of the screen (near "Office 365" logo). Select OneDrive and let the collaboration begin!
Microsoft Teams is Here!
That’s correct. Microsoft Teams is available to all faculty, staff and students. Microsoft Teams is the hub for group collaboration in Microsoft 365 that integrates people, content, and applications. Teams brings simplicity to teamwork by joining collaboration, sharing, and communication all under one platform. See our page about Microsoft Teams for more information.
Additional resources for hotspots and internet connectivity can be found here.