Will UB My Mentor?
Upward Bound provides fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their precollege performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income families and who are first-generation students. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.
The "Will UB My Mentor?" program will enhance and expand services to TRIO Upward Bound students. It is important for high school students to have a role model who has experience with postsecondary education. The purpose of this mentoring program is to connect Upward Bound students with college students who are just like them. Mentors of the program will be undergraduate students from The University of Memphis. Mentors are paired with at least one Upward Bound student to participate in scheduled social activities and have monthly check-ins throughout the year. Mentors will use their personal experience, knowledge, and resources to provide guidance and feedback while helping to support the personal growth and development of their mentees. As a pre-college program, we want to give our students the tools and resources to succeed in their postsecondary education. Having our students participate in a peer-mentoring program will lead to higher self- confidence, exceptional grades, and an increased skillset in persisting in and completing postsecondary education.
This is a volunteer opportunity that provides the participating college student with professional development and networking opportunities. UB mentors are expected to meet the following minimum requirements.
- Undergraduate student from the University of Memphis
- Have and maintain a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Be in good standing with their institution
- Be available during Saturday session, as needed
- Be available to meet with your mentee, once a month outside of Saturday sessions
- Attend required Orientation sessions prior to serving as a mentor
- Attend monthly training sessions
- Communicate updates on UB through individual, monthly meetings with UB staff
- Complete and submit documentation by assigned deadlines
- Present themselves as positive, motivational role models to Scholars at all time
- Demonstrate integrity, dependability, and passion for promoting Student Access& Success
- Uphold all Upward Bound and University policies and procedures
The following materials must be received by October 1:
- Will UB My Mentor online application
- employment application
- official college transcript
- cover letter
- two letters of recommendation
For more information, please contact Ophrah Payne, the TRIO Upward Bound Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 901.678.1482. The TRIO Upward Bound office is located in the Psychology Building Room 234 and it can be contacted at email@example.com.