Foreign Language study is central to the mission of The University of Memphis to educate its students for
a diverse and global society. With today’s levels of foreign trade, tourism, international
business, and international relations, knowledge of other languages and an understanding
of other cultures is a must. Our Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures offers
not only basic language instruction, but also offers advanced work in foreign literatures,
linguistics, culture, civilization, and business.
Which languages can you study here?
You have a choice of twelve! Instruction is offered in Arabic, Chinese, French, German,
Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish. Students
may complete a major with a single-language concentration in French, German, Japanese,
Latin, or Spanish, or a two or three-language concentration combining any of the following:
Chinese, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, and
In addition to the foreign language major, you can create a minor in a particular
language to enhance a major in such fields as Political Science, Business, History,
Anthropology, Art History, English Literature, and Sociology—among others! Check our four-year plans here.
What other opportunities can you enjoy in the University of Memphis Department of
- Semester, full-year and summer abroad programs for academic credit details
- State-of-the-art Language Media Center
- Weekly foreign language conversation tables
- Award-winning teaching and research faculty, many of them native speakers
- Assisting with the annual language fair competition for high school students
- Excellent preparation for an International MBA degree here or elsewhere
- Eligibility for the Mary Pettus Thomas Scholarship for foreign language minors or