Welcome to the Department of History
When you study history at the University of Memphis, you learn from a team of talented, award-winning scholars and teachers. You absorb the diverse, important, and fascinating lessons of the human past. And you master the necessary skills to succeed in today's economy: you think critically, research deeply, analyze complex events, and write with clarity and distinction.
Our faculty members teach courses on a wide variety of themes, time periods, and geographic regions, and they teach many of them online. We are one of the few major research universities to offer both the B.A. and M.A. degrees online.
Our graduate program offers both the M.A. and Ph.D. We have five major focus areas that define our strengths as a graduate program: African American and Southern History; Egyptology; Global History; Modern European History; and the study of Women, Gender, and the Family.
Recent news items:
- Dr Yan Gao wins fellowship from the Rachel Carson Center for Environment and Society
- "Down to the Crossroads" wins award from Tennessee Historical Commission
- Dr Dennis Laumann attends conference and meetings in Oran
- Dr Leigh Ann Wilson honored as outstanding faculty member at Brandman University
- Le'Trice Donaldson and James Conway awarded PhD degrees in Spring 2015 commencement