Welcome to the Department of History
When you study history at the University of Memphis, you learn from a team of talented, award-winning scholars and teachers. You absorb the diverse, important, and fascinating lessons of the human past. And you master the necessary skills to succeed in today’s economy: you think critically, research deeply, analyze complex events, and write with clarity and distinction.
Our faculty members teach courses on a wide variety of themes, time periods, and geographic regions, and they teach many of them online. We are one of the few major research universities to offer both the B.A. and M.A. degrees online.
Our graduate program offers both the M.A. and Ph.D. We have five major focus areas that define our strengths as a graduate program: African-American and Southern History; Egyptology; Global History; Modern European History; and the study of Women, Gender, and the Family.
Recent History Happenings:
- Dr Andrei Znamenski attends conferences in Estonia and Altai Republic
- Steve Knowlton publishes article on the election of Harold E. Ford, Sr., to Congress
- Dr Aram Goudsouzian writes and speaks about the Charleston murders and the Confederate flag
- Dr Julie Elb wins teaching prize, has paper accepted for publication, and presents paper at scholarly conference
- Dr Michael Blum wins McClung Award from the East Tennessee Historical Society
- Dr Catherine Phipps and Dr William Campbell receive Faculty Fellowships from Orr Center for the Humanities
- GoGrad ranks online master's program in history in top 10 nationally